Auto-eating / Time skipping

KendL

Suggestion

It would be nice to introduce a way to skip time automatically.

Description
I found myself in a situation where I stockpiled a lot of food/water in a pretty safe area and there was nothing to do for me there in order to survive.

I decided to survive as long as I could and see different seasons in the game so the plan was to sit there until I run out of food.

The problem

1.  It is relatively hard to skip a significant time period in the game. I mean it was summer and I had all the resources to live happily until winter. Even with the 3x time speed summer=>winter is too long to sit and wait for.
  2. It was not only long, but also not possible to automate. My character can auto-drink but he can't auto-eat for some reason.

So... one day I realized that the best way to skip time is to sleep. While sleeping the time multiplier is faster than 3x time speed. And the best way to make your character sleep constantly is to drink alcohol every time he wakes up.

Wake up, drink a beer, eat butter, drink another beer, get tired, sleep. Wake up .... repeat

Possible solution

It would be nice to have an option to make character eat any available food from nearby containers (also open canned food if the can opener is available). This way we could accelerate time and just leave the character there.

Or introduce some options to accelerate time even further. For example if the character consumes huge amounts of alcohol in short time he can sleep 5 days without waking up. 

Sorry that brings up just one question... WHY?! Why the hell would you just fast-forward and watch it?

Don't get me wrong, you play (or watch) however you like and I don't judge - I'd just really like to know what it is you are fascinated about or expect to see what it's worth sitting it out literally?

9 hours ago, getstoopid said:

Sorry that brings up just one question... WHY?! Why the hell would you just fast-forward and watch it?

Don't get me wrong, you play (or watch) however you like and I don't judge - I'd just really like to know what it is you are fascinated about or expect to see what it's worth sitting it out literally?

Well, I cleared out the nearby areas and the gameplay became boring to me. I felt like I literally had no reason to go anywhere and do anything. The game is a "survival" and I didn't need anything to survive actually.

At the other hand I know that zombies respawn after some time and they can migrate. I also know there are seasons in the game and the game experience during winter can be different from that during summer. So I wanted to get this experience without restarting the game with different settings.

Also it feels interesting from statistics point of view. Like "I can survive for 2 years without any longterm plan by just looting what I can" so that in another game if I can survive longer than 2 years I know it is a result of my longterm strategy.

And it feels like a ... realistic apocalypse. If you are surrounded by hordes of hungry undead and you have a stockpile of food and drinks (especially alcohol) - you will sit there doing nothing hoping for a rescue. It is the most realistic apocalypse scenario I can imagine honestly.

The point is - there are dynamic changes in the game and you may want to get these changes and see how the world changed over time without actually babysitting the character to let him not die from hunger while he sits on a stockpile of food.

I realized that the map does change a lot btw. I made a base in a fully cemented lumber mill area but after 7 months it looked like a wilderness already - there were trees growing and bushes on the asphalt.

What is most interesting in this game is looting. Loot runs are core part of the game play (at least in my experience).

But I don't have any reason to do any loot runs if I have plenty of food. So, I need to wait until something forces me to go out on another loot run. Obviously you can change the setting to make food spawn in fewer quantities... but it requires restarting the game.

And if you don't want to lose your progress and want some dynamics in your world - you want to accelerate time between loot runs.