Suggestion: Option to revert to old towing.

EmDash

The old towing mechanic made more sense to me in that I imagined the cars were connected to a hitch, the new one is more like a rope and while that's cool and all it's very very difficult to remove broken down wrecks from the back roads in the game. I find myself constantly getting stuck on trees and even when towing cars down a highway, if I swerve around some zombies the car I'm towing sometimes gets hooked on a tree or pole my car didn't hit and absolutely wrecks me. The sliding back and forth is so chaotic and anyone who knows about towing vehicles knows that using a rope or chain instead of a hitch or bar is dangerous. Not asking to revert the changes, but just add an option in server settings to use the old system. Pretty please <3

Note: Sorry if I did this wrong I'm new here and this is my first post. Just let me know.

The tow points seem to be connecting to the corner of the car doing the towing.  This creates some really janky behaviour.  While this does feel like low-tech towing with makeshift materials it does create some really stupid behaviour from the two vehicles. 

I think this is more pronounced when trying to hook up vehicles that are not well lined up bumper to bumper.  If there is an angle between them, it seems to create a really weird hookup.

Just had the idea of how to make it realistic while at the same time adding to the game. Add a hitching tool or device you can find that's just as rare as jacks. Make it so if it's in your inventory and/or secondary hand, you can hitch the cars with the old mechanic and have a more stable tow. Either that or add  a tow truck. Or both.

Maybe require a certain level of mechanics knowledge or read a book/magazine to find out how to tow like a pro.  Otherwise you get the janky "tied together with some sheets or a bit of rope" behaviour.  Adding in a towing bar that lets you get the old style "predictable" towing (like a trailer) would be a good expansion of the towing mechanic/activity and potentially help with the knowledge about towing without the handbrake on and engine out of gear.  Towing dead or damaged vehicles could also benefit from some Magazine knowledge to make it possible/easier/faster.  I would pay solid ingame (looted) cash for a magazine that let me tow faster and not get bogged down in fields.

yeah, I would love this or FIX the current wonky towing, it doesn't improve anything.. not fun neither realism. The current towing is so off that I dont think it even 'janky towing back in 90s' or something. More like the car you towed have its own mind. 

Edited by rosedragon

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with this suggestion -- when towing a vehicle through a spread-out horde, I can easily navigate around the zombies with my car, but the one I'm towing is constantly hitting them because it's sliding to the outside. I have to constantly wiggle left to right to get the towed car to be lined up behind me. It seems very unrealistic. As said above, maybe a hitch or something you can add to your car (something you can make with a certain mechanics skill, or find on most trucks) will cause the towed car to act more like a fixed trailer.