Modifying spawnpoints/ "can't create player -the square is null"

Snuffleupagus

I attempted to remove/modify the spawn points in my map mod and seemed to have corrupted it.

I backup every version I update to the workshop. I figured updating the spawn points would be as easy as writing a new spawnpoints.lua file and replacing the existing file.

First, I got the newest version of TileZed/WorldEd and the tile folder.

I created my mods folder in the workshop folder, then copied all the contents of my last update into the workshop folder. I made my changes to the spawn points in WorldEd, and saved. I then copied the new spawnpoints.lua into the workshop folder (replacing the existing).

First time I loaded in to test it was no problem.

The second time, during the load in I got a message saying an error occurred and to check the console.txt. At the end of the log it show this:

WARN : General     , 1653261204776> SpawnPoints.initSpawnBuildings> initSpawnBuildings: no room or building at 8044,10725,0

(multiple entries -presumably for each spawn point)

LOG  : General     , 1653261205487> LuaEventManager: adding unknown event "OnPreUIDraw"
java.lang.RuntimeException: can't create player at x,y,z=8843,9951,2 because the square is null
    at zombie.iso.IsoWorld.init(IsoWorld.java:2670)

I tried re-generating the lots, and clearing the objects/spawnpoint.lua files and regenerating and re-copying everything fresh into the workshop folder. I thought it was fixed, but on the forth try the error came back.

I found the one topic on this error, but the only proposed solution was to start over ("the only downside" -HAHA!!) I'm grasping that someone has a better solution. Or at the very least, can tell me what I did specifically to cause the corruption. RingoD stated it can come from creating your Object.lua file before putting down foraging. (Which is confusing to me, as I thought you had to create the Objects.lua file manually FIRST in notepad before you can save objects to it). Doesn't make sense as i was still using the original Objects file, I only updated the spawnpoints file.
The only other thing I can think of is that using the new editor version to write a new spawnpoint file and trying to use it with lots generated from the old editor version pissed it off somehow. But I don't see how that could corrupt my PZW file. In fact I can't see how any of this would corrupt my PZW file.

I was good at backing up my lots, not so good at backing up my PZW file (because I'm a moron).

I'm really hoping someone can throw a lifeline. I've been working/maintaining this map for years, I'm not looking forward to starting over.

[UPDATE]

It turns out I DID actually have a backup of my working folder (where i keep my .pzw file, exported lots, .psd's etc) with an unmolested copy of a pretty current version of my .PZW file. I lost a couple of minor tweaks but no big deal. It took a couple tries of deleting/restoring the backup to shake the error. It would work until it tried to spawn me in one of the new spawns. In trying to isolate the problem I deleted all but 1 spawn point and tested with no crash. Then I deleted that spawn and added one more -expecting it to crash, but it didn't. Then I added the rest of the spawns I wanted, tested lots of times and the issue seems to be resolved.

I guess the moral of the story is backup and save iterations of your work.

Edited by Snuffleupagus