I just had a little idea for a defence system that could be added to the game.  This would work both as a deterrent for both zombies and survivors.  Basically, using a log and a saw you can craft 2 wooden stakes.  Stakes can be placed individually on the ground, taking up one tile, however you can still walk around them.  Four wooden stakes could be used to make a stake wall (just four stakes in the ground upright, taking up one tile like a regular wall).

Regular stakes can be used to display dead bodies, so assuming you had tons of these set up around your base, the smell would help to mask your base from zombie hordes and would also deter most NPC's from getting too close.

Now as a defence, you could create stake trap and barriers, the traps would be single stakes in the ground at a random angle, a zombie could then be lured to walk into the stake and get stuck.  Now do this around the entire base and you have a minefield of zombies for trespassers to get through (and if they do get through it they'd make a ton of noise killing all the trap zombies).  Trap zombies would be tough to deal with since you can't push them off of you, they could grab you and pull you in for a snack.  Worse yet, if the angle is right, they could pull themselves off the stake and then you'd have a bigger problem.

Stake barriers would be similar to trap stakes, but would be more like a wall.  Basically you'd craft it using 7 stakes (3 for supports, 4 for the actual barrier), and it'd be at a 35-40 degree angle facing N, S, E or W.  These would work well as one-way routes, people would have a lot of trouble getting over the sharp end of the barrier while people on the other side could walk up it and hop off the end.  I'm kind of thinking similar to the medieval style barriers which I believe were effective against cavalry, these would work well against zombies (they can still break through them though) and humans who would need to get past the sharp stakes and any zombies that might be stuck on them.

Anyway, let me know what you think, personally I think this could be really cool when it comes to survivor group wars and would just be awesome to see hundreds of zombies placed in a big minefield style defence.

-GodWaffle

Hi, well the idea is nice and all, but I tried to do spike traps to start small and although they do "work" in grid (a zed or player die stepping on it), they don't kill any zombie in the meta map (the part not loaded).

As it bugs me to have anything not working far from me (meta map), I stopped here :P But I like your idea.