[41.61+] Zombies being culled/deleted with impunity

Sour Kiwi

Multiplayer, local dedicated.  Massive amounts of zombies get deleted after around a month and a half in game time. 30000+ lines in debug logs. This particular test was done with 41.61 but I first stated noticing it on 41.64. Wasn't specific to any location. Mods and no mods tested didnt matter either way. The only way I fixed it was creating an entirely new

Users\%%\Zomboid folder.  Watch the culled numbers when I look behind me in the clip. Also this is the line in the debug logs, with different IDs of course.

DEBUG: Multiplayer , 1639963162505> 34,753,159> NetworkZombiePacker.receivePacket   > Zombie was deleted ID:30459 (12121.355, 6838.187)

PC: 8700k, 3080ti, 16gb ram

Server set to use 6gb ram. both client and server running from same box

no strange memory usage or processor, highest memory usage around 81% with other applications as well.

PopulationMultiplier = 4.0,
PopulationStartMultiplier = 3.0,
PopulationPeakMultiplier = 4.0,
PopulationPeakDay = 28,

• 6 months later...

Is there any plan to make this toggelable? Trying to do a MP dedicated server with friends where the server starts out at 4.0 zombies, respawning turned off, and work our way to "clearing" the map. Ran into this issue with "ZombieCountOptimiser.class" or something or another literally deleting thousands of zombies off the map to the point of whole towns being empty.

I know its for performance, but is there any plans to make this toggleable/editable?

Also, not sure if this is something that is handled just by the server or handed off to the client side to deal with it but would REALY like an option to disable zombie culling/despawning.

• 3 months later...

Same issue still,

2-3 remote players on dedicated server.  Any amount of zombies seemingly over 20-30 disappear when out of sight, even if just out of sight for a moment. PC spec doesn't seem to have any effect, have ran on new 10-series i7, i9 and a Xeon, all same result, all with 16gb RAM and 3060ti. Net routing is as clean as possible and with correct port config.

Seems to happen more to remote players than host, which suggests issue is network/sync related.

Same console log as OP: NetworkZombiePacker.receivePacket   > Zombie was deleted

Fiddling with respawn settings have not provided a good enough work-around unfortunately. That one might be a me problem though.

Manually added zombies behave same way.

Someone educate me.. is this just the way it is? is there a happy-medium other hosts have found that I have not?