So I took a little time out from my safehouse construction to read the Mondoid and I'm super happy to see the guys are working on fixing the 2nd floor building and stairs bugs, good luck to Chris on dealing with that "really big mess" direct quote from RJ!

In the meantime, i'm working on ideas, interiors and getting my carpentry up to lvl4 for those all important rain barrels.

This all in aid of my plan for a new fort nicknamed "Skybridge"!

rex4c6v.jpg

The plan is to have the warehouses linked by a bridge, with 2 entrances to each building and effectively making each one an independant safe house with it's own garden/water/food. The emergency exit at the back of the south (left) building has been converted into a staircase, and the shack on the roof will eventually become my main residence, provided I can get up the stairs once the bugs are fixed!

What plans do you guys have for forts, engineering works and crazy builds when we can once again reach for the skies?

You can get up there, the problem is currently with player made stairs and floors, the stairs sometimes bug out and won't let you up/down (that's why the shack on the roof is unfinished, I built the stairs and got up and down a few times but then it bugged and I had to stop.)

Building a floor currently is a bit hit and miss, literally, sometimes you build a floor and it's there and permanent in the game, sometimes it misses and you fall through it to your death. I could probably start the bridge, but a) I'd have to build a new set of stairs to get up there and b) I don't know how far I'll get before the floors no longer "stick".

I think the idea has a lot of possibilities.  I was thinking about this same thing at another location.  The benefit I saw was the ability to have Zed concentrate their attack on a building which you are only using as a platform.

If I were you:

1. I would lay the bridge out in a pattern that doubled back, like a S.  That way if Zed ever does get up there, a lot of them will get caught in the dead space and fall.  Also, this give you a clear line of fire into the flanks of the Zed, leaving you safe a few spaces away.
  2. Put a few windows & doors on your bridge.  Zeds have to stop and jump through, with you standing on the other side.  You can then pound on them until you become tired, fall back through the open door, close it and barricade it.  Then retreat to the far side of another window.  Put your bottlenecks on corners if you can.  This will force some of the zeds off the sides, so they have to run back around.
  3. If the Zeds have are not falling enough and managing to get past your window + door + window trick, then plan for a section you can destroy.  This will give you the option of "blowing" the bridge and cutting them off completely.  Forcing them to attack you anew at a completely different angle.

Also, now you can plant crops on tops of building, after dropping a bag of sand, being stuck at ground level is really not necessary.

I think the idea has a lot of possibilities.  I was thinking about this same thing at another location.  The benefit I saw was the ability to have Zed concentrate their attack on a building which you are only using as a platform.

If I were you:

1. I would lay the bridge out in a pattern that doubled back, like a S.  That way if Zed ever does get up there, a lot of them will get caught in the dead space and fall.  Also, this give you a clear line of fire into the flanks of the Zed, leaving you safe a few spaces away.
  2. Put a few windows & doors on your bridge.  Zeds have to stop and jump through, with you standing on the other side.  You can then pound on them until you become tired, fall back through the open door, close it and barricade it.  Then retreat to the far side of another window.  Put your bottlenecks on corners if you can.  This will force some of the zeds off the sides, so they have to run back around.
  3. If the Zeds have are not falling enough and managing to get past your window + door + window trick, then plan for a section you can destroy.  This will give you the option of "blowing" the bridge and cutting them off completely.  Forcing them to attack you anew at a completely different angle.

Also, now you can plant crops on tops of building, after dropping a bag of sand, being stuck at ground level is really not necessary.

Clearly a man who takes his Zombie Defences as a thinking cap on situation, I love it! All great suggestions and wonderful strategic thinking!

Possibly because you take after me a little, though not as inspired as your falling off S-bend plan, I had decided to go with a YSNP, or You shall Not Pass philosophy, I figure if it ever comes down to ACTUALLY needing the bridge for defence rather than escape, it will be a dire situation, and in that case I'm a stand and fight kinda guy, so here was my plan... (forgive the crude paint drawing!)

oPoGbro.png

So I have 3 sawn-offs, (all in the police station, that's the first time that's happened in any game i've played!) one for each house and one for the bridge, the idea is to funnel them into the doorway, using the fences and then shotgun them down, hopefully not from both sides, tempted to put in a window frame, but I feel it might be tedious for general use, as I'm not planning on having any ground floor doors and the sheet ropes to be as far apart as possible.

If I were you:

Clearly a man who takes his Zombie Defences as a thinking cap on situation, I love it! All great suggestions and wonderful strategic thinking!

Possibly because you take after me a little, though not as inspired as your falling off S-bend plan, I had decided to go with a YSNP, or You shall Not Pass philosophy, I figure if it ever comes down to ACTUALLY needing the bridge for defence rather than escape, it will be a dire situation, and in that case I'm a stand and fight kinda guy, so here was my plan... (forgive the crude paint drawing!)

oPoGbro.png

So I have 3 sawn-offs, (all in the police station, that's the first time that's happened in any game i've played!) one for each house and one for the bridge, the idea is to funnel them into the doorway, using the fences and then shotgun them down, hopefully not from both sides, tempted to put in a window frame, but I feel it might be tedious for general use, as I'm not planning on having any ground floor doors and the sheet ropes to be as far apart as possible.

Drawing looks good... forget the fencing for bottlenecks.  Use crates or rain barrels.  The zombies cant jump over them or destroy them, you can shoot over them.  Keep the doors.

Here is something else you can do... have a sheet rope opposite, some you can climb up and out.  Put crates to your left and right.  Put a strand of wire after that,  then put a series of windows leading into the area.  Zed loves him some windows :)  They hop in, get slowed by the wire and move toward the crates that they cannot destroy.  Mr shotgun says "Bang!"  You win.

I call this a shooting gallery and I construct one near my fort, between two houses.  I board up the houses and construct what I just described.  Every few days I go inside the galley and fire off a dozen round from my shotgun.  I then read a book and drink my morning coffee.  Zed runs in.  If there are a lot of them, I shoot them.  If there are only a few, I go out using the rope and then out another side with another rope.  I swing around the end of my gallery, let zed know I am patiently waiting, and stove their heads in as they jump through the windows.

This method will have to change when the devs make it so barrels and crates can be destroyed.  As it stand now, they are better than fences.

How to survive the zombie apocalypse:  

1. Find large apartment building. 

2. Clear out zombies on floors.

3. Destroy any staircases, disable the lifts and pull up the fire escape.

3. Consolidate supplies. 

4. Set up farm and water collectors on roof.

BOOM. Impenetrable fortress.

3. Consolidate supplies. 

Impenetrable fortress or inescapable prison?

A horde migrates to your safehouse, sets up a sweet zombie embrace that encapsulates you. Hundreds, maybe even thousands with that dead-eyed patience as they moan, play shuffleboard and do zedoku puzzles.

Are you sure you have everything you're ever going to need for the rest of your life up there?

I know you're missing one thing... a way out.

3. Consolidate supplies. 

No escape and no way TO grow food. In this game you'd need sandbags to pour on the roof to grow the food, and only so long as the "dirt" will lose its nutrients and you will need to plant elsewhere, which you can't on a roof.

In "real life" you'd need pots and a LOT of fertilizer to grow stuff not in the soil. And once you used up the fertilizer? No more food for you. So that's not really a foolproof plan you got there lol.

3. Consolidate supplies. 

No escape and no way TO grow food. In this game you'd need sandbags to pour on the roof to grow the food, and only so long as the "dirt" will lose its nutrients and you will need to plant elsewhere, which you can't on a roof.

In "real life" you'd need pots and a LOT of fertilizer to grow stuff not in the soil. And once you used up the fertilizer? No more food for you. So that's not really a foolproof plan you got there lol.

You could grow on the roof for a VERY long period of time.  As long as an animals diet is "mostly" plant based, you can use their feces as manure.  You can also use the plant material remaining as compost.  Cycle manure + compost + dirt = good soil.  You will also need to rotate your crops (I expect the skill books covers all that).  This closed system is going to be the basis for farming on another planet or in space, and has been tested extensively in "The Dome."  As long as you don't break the cycle you are good to go.  And the concern about disease, don't be.  It is just YOUR poo.  Squat in the flower bed, do your business and carry on.

The biggest concern I would have with growing on the roof is maintaining the roofs stability with all the rotting material, dirt and standing water that is saturated in the soil.   I would hate to lose my crops because the roof caved in!

My second biggest concern for well being is the complete lack of regard for TP.  You have to scavenge for TP sometime!!  :P

3. Consolidate supplies. 

Nope, as Steel said, farming would be fine.  

Plenty of ways to escape. Build a bridge to other buildings. Use ladders or rope to drop down onto areas with little zombies or the roofs of buildings.