Build 41 - IWBUMS constant BSOD

MrMaestro

(I used the top of page 'Bug Reports' and did not know there was a separate 'support'  section, but I can't seem to move it there now)

I am not sure what it is about PZ build 41IWBUMS, but I am getting a constant string of BSOD's when playing this.

Console file attached.

It' s also a lottery of which error code it gives me and when it will happen, sometimes before the title screen even pops up, sometimes before loading/making a game and at any point during game play.

I have since updated every driver, moved the install folder, even played 'compatibility mode', the latter seems slightly less unstable (I still BSOD), but has the side effect of a constant lighting flickering.

Other games work just fine  so considering the intense frequency ( I know there is a quit game/to desktop function, but have yet to actually use it ), this build is not playing nice with my PC.

console.txt

Edited by MrMaestro
Used the top of page ' bug reports', did not know there was a separate crash section

The log doesn't seem to show any errors, can you share the error log right away after a BSOD happens? The logs get reset each time the game is launched, meaning we would need one after a crash to see if there are any errors.
Additionally, could you catch what the error is specifically when the BSOD happens? Just so we can cross reference it if there are any errors in the console.

Not a BSOD this time, but 'just a CTD' just now. Attached is the fresh Console.txt

The previous log was from a session cut short by a BSOD by the way, I notice (somewhat logically) that if I boot the game up again after a BSOD my save is rolled back a few moments, not by very much but noticable, perhaps the log also got cut short by the BSOD?

As for the error type(s) of BSOD

Common: Whea_incorrectable error

sometimes: Watchdog Violation

rarely: reference by pointer

To be absolutely sure it's not part(s) of my machine dying on me I've installed and played a new game entirely, not a single instance of errors/CTD's/BSOD's.

console.txt

There doesnt seem to be anything in the console that would suggest the game erroring out itself, it seems to run just fine. Can you check if there are any "hs_err_pid" files found in "Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid" ? They can contain further information that can be helpful.
Though right now everything seems to be pointing to a hardware failure, all three of those errors seem to be pointing to drivers specifically, have you installed any drivers manually for example?

I have no such file(s) in my steam PZ folder it would seem, checked both the steam install on my SSD and my HDD steamlibrary (current location of PZ) .

I have used a third party program to scan and update all possible hardware since PZ triggered so many BSOD's.

Again, the BSOD's start (and end) with Project Zomboid specifically. Spent most of today with another game without a hitch, PZ crashed in about 15 minutes.

I will continue to alternate between PZ and other games and see if I can find any other correlation, but if the game logs don't specify it I doubt this issue can be solved at this time as they happen too randomly during PZ to point out any specific cause without a clear logging of it.

If you search Google for the following, you’ll see a large number of hits that seem to suggest the problem is with cpu voltages:

i7-7820X x299 blue screen

it seems like a common issue with this combo. Certain applications cause increased demand (quicktime, adobe products, and apparently PZ), resulting in misapplied voltage settings.

All three blue screens are related. Basically, general fault detected; watchdog noticed general fault; and, inaccessible address or instruction.

Some fixes here:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-hardware/WHEA-UNCORRECTABLE-ERROR-on-Gigabyte-x299-and-Skylake-X-SOLVED-1042/

https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/90398-bsod-after-installing-new-i7-7820x-cpu-3.html

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Intel-7820x-Core-CPU-BSOD-s/td-p/318295

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-please/33fafc05-6f26-49fc-80a8-e622269de881

Seems to affect Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI boards similarly.

As to why PZ might cause this: it’s heavily multithreaded. Most games still aren’t. This might be causing the system to over-volt the cpu to meet demand. Similar to the other applications mentioned.