Can't Chat in PZ Discord [Phone Verification Required]

valkyrienyanko

Question

A few months ago I remember having no issues talking in the PZ discord, now the server is asking me to verify my phone but I don't have a phone.

Will the phone verification requirement be removed / will there be a special role that bypasses this?

My Discord: valk#9904

6 answers to this question

Since you've been on the server before, you have been given a role and can access the server again.

We require phone verification in order to participate on the Discord server.

If someone has been on the server before, they can be given a role in order to circumvent this restriction.

If they have not been on the server before, getting the account verified with a phone number is going to be required.

This allows us an additional level of protection against spam and scam links.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:08 AM, Azazellz said:

And potential scam and phone spam for users if the discord phone database is suddenly stolen.

Do you know how they store and protect their data?

Me neither.

Therefore, I prefer not to give out my phone number to third-party companies unless I have sufficient confidence in their reliability.

That's a legitimate concern and a fair reason not to verify your account with a phone number.

That choice renders you unable to participate on servers who chose to activate this security feature.

The concern of a potential data leak is still valid, this choice is one that each individual has to make themselves, weighing a direct consequence versus a potential risk of privacy, as with any free service.

We picked this security option for valid reasons, too. Neither of us are wrong for the choices we've made. 

Moderators should easily deal with spam and scam in discord - this is their direct responsibility.

Or we just use a feature that makes it easier on them as well as our users. They're volunteers not slaves. 

After all, this significantly narrows the range of users who could chat on your server.

That's the concession I mentioned. We're aware of it and consider it unfortunate, but more importantly it narrows the range of spammers, scammers, and trolls who could chat on our server. 

The benefit of this option unfortunately outweighs the negative for us. 

2 hours ago, nasKo said:

This allows us an additional level of protection against spam and scam links.

And potential scam and phone spam for users if the discord phone database is suddenly stolen.

Do you know how they store and protect their data?

Me neither.

Therefore, I prefer not to give out my phone number to third-party companies unless I have sufficient confidence in their reliability.

Moderators should easily deal with spam and scam in discord - this is their direct responsibility.

It is a shame that you have enabled such a limitation. After all, this significantly narrows the range of users who could chat on your server.

Archived