binoculars and scoped rifle

SoWeMeetAgain

Hey! I realize this would be hard to implement, but here are some ideas I had about binoculars and scoped rifles.

First, when you use either (put into primary slot, go into "combat" stance) you stop moving completely.

Your mouse cursor is replaced with  something reflecting a binocular or scope reticle (remember Commandos?) which also magnifies things in it by 2x.

The further you move the "mouse cursor" away from your character, two things happen:1) the area around the one viewable through your tool gets grayed out more and more. 2) when using the scoped rifle, the scope actually jiggles around a little around the "real" mouse position so long range shots get harder.

What do you think?

Hey! I realize this would be hard to implement, but here are some ideas I had about binoculars and scoped rifles.

First, when you use either (put into primary slot, go into "combat" stance) you stop moving completely.

Your mouse cursor is replaced with  something reflecting a binocular or scope reticle (remember Commandos?) which also magnifies things in it by 2x.

The further you move the "mouse cursor" away from your character, two things happen:1) the area around the one viewable through your tool gets grayed out more and more. 2) when using the scoped rifle, the scope actually jiggles around a little around the "real" mouse position so long range shots get harder.

What do you think?

I like both of the ideas, altho i think binoculars would be a better implementation 

Personally, I hate artifical wobbling for guns in games with a passion. I think it'd be better just to add a bit of predictable wavering if you were trying to move. Properly designed game mechanics shouldn't need random wobbling.

well, if you ever tried shooting a rifle in real life, there just is some wobbling. no way around it unless the rifle is sitting on it's own (buttstock-spike, bipod).

If you take that out of a game everyone's a sniper, no skill to it. And that is to be disliked more imho

Arma2 did it really well

Personally, I hate artifical wobbling for guns in games with a passion. I think it'd be better just to add a bit of predictable wavering if you were trying to move. Properly designed game mechanics shouldn't need random wobbling.

well, if you ever tried shooting a rifle in real life, there just is some wobbling. no way around it unless the rifle is sitting on it's own (buttstock-spike, bipod).

If you take that out of a game everyone's a sniper, no skill to it. And that is to be disliked more imho

Arma2 did it really well

What John is talking about is having it to an extent, many games over-exaggerate and it looks ridiculous.

Arma2 did it really well

What John is talking about is having it to an extent, many games over-exaggerate and it looks ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm cool with a little wobble here and there. But it's when you get to Fallout levels. Basically, in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, you need a high Guns skill otherwise when you zoom in with a scoped weapon it sways back and forth, making it impossible to even aim.

What I'm saying though, is that when you're actually firing a rifle the wavering is usually breathing related and fairly easy to compensate for. Especially if you're stationary or braced against something. The actual challenge of firing a rifle at long range comes from other factors, like using your range card to determine hold-over, lead and so forth, and adjusting your optic accordingly.

Maybe Arma 2 did okay on it. I've no experience with sniping in Arma 2, but I do know it sucked in Day Z, where anybody without night vision was automatically prey.

What I'm saying though, is that when you're actually firing a rifle the wavering is usually breathing related and fairly easy to compensate for. Especially if you're stationary or braced against something. The actual challenge of firing a rifle at long range comes from other factors, like using your range card to determine hold-over, lead and so forth, and adjusting your optic accordingly.

Maybe Arma 2 did okay on it. I've no experience with sniping in Arma 2, but I do know it sucked in Day Z, where anybody without night vision was automatically prey.

caught the person who never shot a rifle, or even pistol, in real life

No, at close range it is relatively simple to counter sway. (long range is another matter)

Within the video game's actual draw distance, you're never going to make a shot past 100 yards. With a low magnification rifle and a stationary position that's pretty easy offhand even for a novice. When I was in the Boy Scouts 12 year old kids with iron-sighted .22 rifles got groupings within a quarter at fifty yards.

When you're firing a rifle and stabilizing it, you generally catch your breath halfway on the exhale and evenly squeeze the trigger until bang. And the sights generally move up and down with your chest rising and falling - this is different from video games where it goes wherever the hell in every direction because the game wants to. That's something I just don't like personally. Red Orchestra 2 has a pretty solid implementation of this, where your sights waver in a predictable manner that follows your breathing.

This, all is for a rifle though, where it's braced against your chest. With a handgun, you remove a source of stability and there's generally also flinching for new shooters that can dip a shot to one side.

Project Zomboid is never going to require putting down dope for a .308 Winchester fired at 900 meters, where the target is smaller than a mil-dot on a reticle, and you have to crank in 200 clicks of turret adjustment and add a holdover of several mils as well as a lead based upon wind speed. At that point the slightest movement would screw your shot anyway, so you'd almost certainly be prone and rested.

EDIT: I don't particular understand the 'even a pistol' comment, by the way. A handgun is harder to own and more difficult to shoot accurately. Ammo is cheaper, but other than that...