skillbooks - how to use them?

SoWeMeetAgain

That link you have is from July... and books have been revamped/reworked some since then.

Read it all in one go is fine... there are currently a few bugs and a few things to know to watch out for:

1) (BAD FOR YOU BUG) If you read the entire book at slow (normal) speed; you'll sometimes not get to read the last page; and won't be able to re-read it.  The bar fills before the book is completely read, and you miss 1 multiplier point.

2) (Good for you bug) http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3398-reading-a-skill-book-in-2-seconds/ If you read a book toggling quickly between normal and increased speed (F3 and F4) it's possible to "speed-read" and finish the book in less time... and you'll always finish the book cleanly (the bar won't fill before you're done; have not had any issues missing out on multipliers with this).

3) (Kinda bad bug)  The first book works perfectly; but for the 2nd and later boxes, the books "wear off" before the box is full.  http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3560-skill-books-still-not-quite-working-properly-17-0014/    Nothing you can do for this, but accept that it'll happen around 250 XP into box 2 (300 xp needed) and 1200ish xp into box 3... and so on.  Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Things to know:

1) "re-reading" a book by finding another copy?  DO NOT do this.  When you start reading, your multiplier will reset, and you'll have to finish the new book to get it back.

2) "re-reading" a book to your multiplier back after bug #3 loses it... doesn't work.  As soon as you gain 1 xp you'll lose the multiplier again.  Made me cry as I thought I had a workaround :(

3) Read the right book for the box you're filling or it will do nothing (maybe obvious; but whatever). 

1 = beginner, 2 = intermediate, 3 = advanced, 4 = expert, 5 = master

4) If you read old posts (like that one) books were a bit OP early on, you could hit a huge multiplier (20X).  the books now scale to skill level. The max you can get (and should get from one fully read book) by skill level is:

1 = 3X, 2 = 5X, 3 = 8X, 4 = 12X, 5 = 16X

** So if you're filling the 3rd box, you read the Advanced book, and should get an 8X multiplier from that **

5) If you replay a map (start a new guy on an old map) the books the first guy read are still "read".  

This can be easily "tweaked" in the game files (not a MOD as such, but a quick hack; blame the guy who did it that way...)

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3046-skillbooks-dont-make-them-one-time-items/

Oh, that was me who did it that way?   Fine, blame me.

That link you have is from July... and books have been revamped/reworked some since then.

Read it all in one go is fine... there are currently a few bugs and a few things to know to watch out for:

1) (BAD FOR YOU BUG) If you read the entire book at slow (normal) speed; you'll sometimes not get to read the last page; and won't be able to re-read it.  The bar fills before the book is completely read, and you miss 1 multiplier point.

2) (Good for you bug) http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3398-reading-a-skill-book-in-2-seconds/ If you read a book toggling quickly between normal and increased speed (F3 and F4) it's possible to "speed-read" and finish the book in less time... and you'll always finish the book cleanly (the bar won't fill before you're done; have not had any issues missing out on multipliers with this).

3) (Kinda bad bug)  The first book works perfectly; but for the 2nd and later boxes, the books "wear off" before the box is full.  http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3560-skill-books-still-not-quite-working-properly-17-0014/    Nothing you can do for this, but accept that it'll happen around 250 XP into box 2 (300 xp needed) and 1200ish xp into box 3... and so on.  Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Things to know:

1) "re-reading" a book by finding another copy?  DO NOT do this.  When you start reading, your multiplier will reset, and you'll have to finish the new book to get it back.

2) "re-reading" a book to your multiplier back after bug #3 loses it... doesn't work.  As soon as you gain 1 xp you'll lose the multiplier again.  Made me cry as I thought I had a workaround :(

3) Read the right book for the box you're filling or it will do nothing (maybe obvious; but whatever). 

1 = beginner, 2 = intermediate, 3 = advanced, 4 = expert, 5 = master

4) If you read old posts (like that one) books were a bit OP early on, you could hit a huge multiplier (20X).  the books now scale to skill level. The max you can get (and should get from one fully read book) by skill level is:

1 = 3X, 2 = 5X, 3 = 8X, 4 = 12X, 5 = 16X

** So if you're filling the 3rd box, you read the Advanced book, and should get an 8X multiplier from that **

5) If you replay a map (start a new guy on an old map) the books the first guy read are still "read".  

This can be easily "tweaked" in the game files (not a MOD as such, but a quick hack; blame the guy who did it that way...)

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3046-skillbooks-dont-make-them-one-time-items/

Oh, that was me who did it that way?   Fine, blame me.

Wish i had something to add to this but he summed it up very nicely :)

Really nice ;)

I fixed a bunch of books bugs for the upcoming (in part based on gekkobear fixes) : No more xp reset if you stop/restart to read the book, page will be at 0 if you finish them (thanks gekkobear ;)), no more multiplier reset in the middle of the skill, no more can't read last page bug.

I hope now everything will be ok with those books ! :P

Thank you for your answer!

About your very last paragraph, what does count as an "old" map? Every time I play Muldraugh?

My last character died (scratch to the left foot!), I deleted the savegame and created a new one - "old" map or "new"?

An "old map" is this:

1) You play a guy... he dies.

2) You restart that save; creating a new guy.

3) You are now playing your new guy on the previous guy's map.

If you delete your save; that's a "new" map.   And that's what I do.

Old map benefits:

If you have a good set up safehouse/farm/supply/etc you keep it.

Old map drawbacks:

Water goes off faster (or starts "off") electricity goes off faster (or starts "off") hordes that have formed near your safe house are still formed, places your first guy looted are still looted.

You'd have to have had an amazing setup to make that tradeoff worthwhile; but some people do it. :)

Really nice ;)

I fixed a bunch of books bugs for the upcoming (in part based on gekkobear fixes) : No more xp reset if you stop/restart to read the book, page will be at 0 if you finish them (thanks gekkobear ;)), no more multiplier reset in the middle of the skill, no more can't read last page bug.

I hope now everything will be ok with those books ! :P

That looks to be a great list. :)

"page will be at 0 if you finish them"   I wasn't sure if this would be in the vanilla game... but it seemed important for multiplayer in the future. :)

"no more multiplier reset in the middle of the skill, no more can't read last page bug."  These I was confident would get fixed however, and I'll be very glad to see the next patch with them working properly. ;)

If you have a second for one more thing RJ; look at the "all" Shelves item distribution and verify the cooking books are where you want them... I think the Cooking5 book is missing there, and Cooking3 and Cooking4 have the distributions that would be for books 4 & 5...

Maybe that was intentional (as I think kitchen shelves might have cooking5 where they don't have other "5" books). And the lvl 5 book is rarely needed by me in any case, but maybe double-check that?

Archived