Using Journals like skill books that the player can write

Jangles

So the basic concept is being able to turn journals/notebooks in to books that give XP multipliers but with a few differences.

I like doing bullet points so here they are, this is how I would see it working:

- The first time a journal is used to document what you've learned it'll get the title "[Player Name]'s notes on [skill]"

- Right click journal, click "Take notes about..." and then choose skill from a drop down

- Every two levels in a skill you can add a chapter to the journal

- Writing a chapter takes time, it's not instant, similar to reading a guidebook

- Chapters are all kept in the same notebook and are written one at a time, you can not skip writing a chapter.

- These journals can be read by any character that didn't write it. They will receive an XP multiplier

- The XP multiplier is half as much as a guidebook, but stacks with guidebooks

- Journals do not stack with each other. By this I mean if you have read Chapter 1 on fishing in Jack's notes, it will show Chapter 1 on fishing as already read in Jill's book as well.

- Takes time to read just like a guidebook

- The chapters work like the volumes of the guidebooks, but condensed in to a single book. The character will read the chapter appropriate for their skill level

The thing that really got me thinking about it was having a character with plenty of leveled skills dying, and thinking it'd be nice if there was a way to leave behind a means of assisting my new character in regaining those levels. It'd also be an interesting way for players in co-op to assist each other in building skills.