Anyone else see the new Cloverfield movie?

Brex

The original Cloverfield is one of my favorite movies of all time. I won't act like it's a masterpiece of filmmaking, but it's an entertaining monster movie that was boosted by an ingenious marketing campaign that set the stage for its spiritual sequel, 10 Cloverfield Lane, which I also enjoyed (albeit not quite as much as the sequel). But I saw the third movie last night and I was just so disappointed. The whole movie feels like a mediocre sci-fi thriller with some Cloverfield fanservice thrown in. Granted, some of that fanservice was pretty good

Spoiler

(a giant Clover popping out of the clouds at the end nearly scared me shitless)

but the rest felt forced and out of place. Not to mention the story itself was, as mentioned before, dull and cliche. It makes no attempt to connect the first two movies outside of some throwaway explanation of parallel dimensions or some bullshit. I really wanted to like the movie, but even with that awesome ending, I just came away disappointed. Because I loved the original Cloverfield and its sequel, and I wanted to see where things would go from there. Now, I'm thinking maybe the franchise should probably just die. Maybe it shouldn't have been a franchise at all. I dunno. 

Bottom line, if you're a fan of the original Cloverfield movies, aside from some fanservice, you're gonna be disappointed. If you're not a fan, you'll probably outright hate it.  But at the very least, I didn't have to pay money to see it in theaters.

So there's that. 

I liked it. A lot, actually. 

The cloverfield series is not about film to film continuity. Its a sci fi anthology with only loose connections between films, although a fairly significant point of continuity was made as the movie continued.

If you follow the history of The God Particle, your note about mediocre sci-fi thriller with fanservice thrown in may be fairly on point. It wasn't clear that The God Particle was in fact a cloverfield movie until quite far along. The long delays hint at problems with the film during production, and some of this shows. The russian character was off and despite his weirdness ultimately turned out to be more or less inconsequential except for creating the macguffin that the one person who shouldn't have known about it found it. Certain connections between characters were strange. I think 5 or 6 minutes at the start discussing the paradox and why no one thought to use solar panels could have been useful. 

I also watched Life, so I'm going to draw my comparisons between those two movies. I thought Life was terrible. I watched the whole thing, unable to tear my eyes away, of course. Being on an international flight helped. Nevertheless, I found the weirdness in paradox MORE believable than the astoundingly cliche Life.  I see a lot of discussion about the cliche aspects of paradox, but I found Life to be considerably worse. 

• 1 month later...

Just watched it, absolutely hated it. It took me 4 breaks and an extra 2 hours to slog through what should be labelled as a Science Ignorant film at best. None of what they showed made any sense. From the beginning, it was predictable who was going to die, and each death was terribly cliche. I'd break it down if I wasn't on my phone, but spoiler tags are a bit of a pain for me.

Archived