is there something stopping us from making custom zombie types?

lllaaazzz

Hi i havnt seen any mods featuring custom zombie types, like the wall crawlers and screamers we see suggested often, but the usual reply is devs want romero zombie... thats cool and all but pretty casual 

so before i go expending my energy picking up lua and all that fun stuff, i was wondering if there is something physically stopping us from creating these custom zombies? 

thanks for the reply

-lllaaazzz 

Dude your post hasn't even been up 24 hours yet. And you posted on a Monday, not the hottest night for activity.

If you want to see what zed behaviours you can change, take a look at the behaviour mods that are out there. I forget the proper names but they're mostly mobility: zeds more active day or night (now native feature), zeds run indoors during rain, zeds anticipate player movement. Not sure of there are more.

For new looks, there are a few texture mods (infected zombies is one) but for more dramatic differences you'll need to wait for the new animations to drop.

For ranged zed attacks, no idea. It doesn't exist in current mods. Maybe there's a way to give zeds custom gun/explosive weapons that have had the gunshot audio replaced? Although right now I'm not sure you can put in custom audio.

Good luck if you try to start something.

Ps if you have to say "not trying to be rude," that's your instincts telling you that you were rude.

Edited by trombonaught

• 11 months later...
On 11/22/2017 at 11:54 AM, trombonaught said:

Dude your post hasn't even been up 24 hours yet. And you posted on a Monday, not the hottest night for activity.

If you want to see what zed behaviours you can change, take a look at the behaviour mods that are out there. I forget the proper names but they're mostly mobility: zeds more active day or night (now native feature), zeds run indoors during rain, zeds anticipate player movement. Not sure of there are more.

For new looks, there are a few texture mods (infected zombies is one) but for more dramatic differences you'll need to wait for the new animations to drop.

For ranged zed attacks, no idea. It doesn't exist in current mods. Maybe there's a way to give zeds custom gun/explosive weapons that have had the gunshot audio replaced? Although right now I'm not sure you can put in custom audio.

Good luck if you try to start something.

Ps if you have to say "not trying to be rude," that's your instincts telling you that you were rude.

I would love to know where some of these mods you mentioned are posted they sound very interesting. It's possible I got confused and You were just explaining that it's all been included in vanilla already (maybe). Also I took what they were saying as a joke. They said they weren't trying to be rude because their intention may have been to be comedic, but to avoid hurting feelings. I appreciate the extra effort they made to let us all know they didn't intend harm because it's always fairly difficult to understand the tone of text on a screen. If you have to tell someone that being careful of others feelings (which is impossible to do perfectly 100% of the time and a bit exhausting trying to maintain perfect flawless political correctness since we're all just humans) is automatic proof of some kind of internal guilt tripping a sensor then I have to assume you're just having a bad day or projecting what you feel on to them. I'm just saying it's really easy to jump to conclusions and better to try and give the benefit of the doubt sometimes because the knee jerk reactions us imperfect humans make can sometimes be worse that the thing we thought was yucky in the first place. Just my two cents.

As for the mod maker, I think it's a really cool idea but I'm actually really happy about how project zomboid handles the zombies. I feel no other game does this properly. all the games out there like left3deed and every other game that claims to be zombie like always has some strange special zombies that make it stop feeling like a zombie game. I did enjoy leaf5dood a whole lot but I didn't feel like it was a true zombie game, more like a "monsters" game. I like how project zomboid is full of many "vanilla" zombies that are either slow or fast etc. because it feels like a realistic zombie situation rather than a AAA gimmick. I'm very glad I found project zomboid. I'm not saying I'm against this mod, but I hope "special zombies" always remain 100% optional. I will probably even try them out at some point, but I hope it never gets implemented as a permanent feature with no option to turn it off. PZ is special for doing zombie right, hitting where everyone else misses. Thank you.