Strange death in MP

Changrey

Question

Me and my friend have recently had some very odd deaths in MP. In several different playthroughs, we have experienced a sudden drastic drop in health (by the bar, looks to be exactly 50%). This is without any moodlets except for the injury moodlet, and without any injuries on the health screen.

It appears to start almost simultaneously to both of us (within 5-10min real-time). First sign is a sudden, drastic drop from full health to half, in the span of a few seconds (5-10), again without moodlets. This is followed by a period of nothing happening (maybe 10min real-time) and then another 50% drop. If we have healed, we can sometime survive the 2nd drop, only to have it drop again a short while later. No moodlets appear, except injury and Anxious when at low health. 

Sleeping does not help, it is not related to an injury (my own character died the same way, a few minutes after my friends. I have had no injuries for close to a week of game time). 

It does not appear to be related to food as power had only just gone out and we still had access to fresh food (and could keep ourselves Fed for the duration). It is not Bleach related either as neither of us have drunk any. 

The exact same thing happened a few weeks ago in a different game (vanilla, no mods). Since then we have reset the entire world, our characters and added a few map mods (New Denver and Bedford Falls) as well as Hydrocraft.

Server is a non-dedicated, through the game client, with just the two of us on it.

In both cases, the issue happened after a month or more in-game (2 months the first time).

Cannot see anything in any log files, but coop-console from my friend who is hosting looks *very* weird. Have included it as attachment here.

Need some help as randomly dropping dead repeatedly is rapidly killing any interest we have in playing.

coop-console.rar

8 answers to this question

Absolutely positive. He had a few mods subscribed through the Workshop, but not active through the server settings (we only realized we needed to use the "Mods" section of the server settings later on). 

I don't see mods not enabled causing random deaths like that.

At the same time, I am running an identical set of mods in my own MP game currently and have had zero issues in that regard.

If it happens again on a vanilla server let me know, and try to get me the console file from there. I'll keep checking and keep an eye out for anyone else having this issue, but so far you're the only one reporting it at all and I went through the ~15,000 lines of the console and didn't see anything out of the ordinary so it's really hard to say. Sorry I can't be more help to you =\

Edit: I see you say you hadn't had any injuries in a while on that character (meaning you had some before). Did you hover over those injuries on your sheet by any chance? Is it possible they were infected?

There were zero indications of being infected. Both me and my friend had not been injured for multiple days and had not gotten the Queasy moodlet. 

If you think something killed us, then I ask you a question back - what exists in the game that does exactly 50% of your healthbar in damage, as a damage-over-time effect lasting maybe 5 seconds, without bleeding or infection moodlets, while walking around in a safe location, happening as a repeat action every 5min or so, but only after a month or more of in-game time? I have zero clue.

I can't guarantee that either of us weren't slightly injured in the vanilla bug event, if so we are talking one or two scratches that had already been disinfected and bandaged. Shouldn't infection result in, at least, a slow death with sickness moodlets?

I'll look into the Hydrocraft, but still doubt it is mod related, as I mentioned I am running these mods myself, with no issues. 

Currently my friend got so frustrated he uninstalled the game entirely, so whether we ever restart a campaign to try again, I don't know. 

Well to answer the question, nothing at all does that kind of damage to you instantly and without moodles. That's why it's so very weird that only you and your friend are reporting this issue. As mentioned before, in cases like this it's 10 times out of 10 been a mod. I really do apologize for the inconvenience and that I can't give a better answer, but right now I don't have any other information for you. We've had zero other reports of this with thousands of other players and nothing in the console there tells me anything :-(. Having your personal console as it's happening would probably be better than the co-op console. Like I said, I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything else. Really sorry about this.

Not sure if the Hydro bug was fixed or not (I don't keep up with mods much) but I think it was something to do with putting on armor for them, if that helps.

I can understand why that would be frustrating. As far as I know, this hasn't ever been reported with the vanilla game before. Are you 100% sure when it happened last time it was the same thing and it had no mods? Because where we have seen cases like this, so far it's been mods every time. I'll do some more looking over the console file and see if I see anything else, but so far 10 times out of 10 that's been the issue.

Archived