Behaviour modes: alert, concentrating

GOGOblin

The main idea: the player can switch his perception "strategies", setting them to alert, normal or concentrating on something.

Alert: wider arc of view; automatic head turning around trying to spot Z's; less chance to get scratched; reduced XP gains; reduced skills (all skills -1 for example). When paniced player always switches to Alert.

Normal: no effects

Concentrating : effects opposing to Alert state, no running. Also striking Z's while in this mode will make a well aimed punch, inflicting more damage I think skill boost will be nice, because taking time to concentrate on something and think it over is a good way to solve problems.

Power of concentration.jpg

8 minutes ago, Keshash said:

Wouldn't that take control from the player? :? It sounds kinda OP, though. 

Wut? What do you mean " take control from the player" ? If you mean rotating arc of view - well why not add some random rotation to it?

The player switches the priority for a character: to keep his eyes open and be ready for troubles or to imply surroundings are safe and concentrate on crafting or reading or whatever..

Imo, it wouldn't be comfortable, when you walk somewhere, explore buildings and character looks where he wants. I don't usually stand still, looking for the zombies, I always move, do something. There would be no need for alert mode for me.

Reduced skills and XP is kinda unrealistic. It may be better to increase crafting time, because you aren't concentrated. :)

Well, cosplyaing a radar tower is sometimes annoying thing to do. Besides when you are deeply occupied aranging your posessions (or building, or crafting, or chopping) your mouse is busy..

Reduced skills and XP is kinda unrealistic

Why? When you have to watch your 6 all the time you just cannot do anything well. 

It may be better to increase crafting time

Yep, agree, adding this is also a good idea.

Edited by GOGOblin

I think this could be interesting to be wrapped into the stances (sneaking, walking, aiming) with some modification. Not in this exact sense, but I think having this and that would be a bit overly complex. There's some neat ideas that could be worked into this.