Server setup impossible. Activated DMZ, shut off all firewalls, no connection.

ThatUser

Hello there,

About 6 months ago or more I played PZ and made a server and everything worked fine. Now, getting back into the game it seems the difficulty spike in making a server has gone up. 

I do not know what else to do, I cant connect to the server at all, not even locally. I have attempted starting the server both with the PZ Steam dedicated server app as well as the server batch in the directory of the game.

It asks for admin password the first time, I have checked the server settings and set it on public and made sure the steam checkboxes were active. I have reinstalled the app and the game and still same results with the server...and like I mentioned on the title, I even activated DMZ and shut off the firewalls from both Windows 7 as well as from the actual router itself. That was after trying to portforward the ports as usual.

Please, someone help, I want to get back into PZ with some friends again. : )

don't use DMZ. you should use port forwarding. give your PC a static IP address.

i couldn't get my firewall to use the stock port so i use a TCP port in the 49152–65535 range.

the port you assign with PZServerSettings.bat INI/serverdetails/port will be what people use to connect.

you'll need to add a port for each player. say 55555 is your connection port and you have 10 players max.

you'll want to forward a range of 55555-55565.

if you enable steam on the server, forward TCP 8766-8767. (steam needs two ports)

with the server NOT RUNNING, check if your ports are open with Open Port Check Tool.

if you get an open result you should be good to go.

if you don't want it posted to the public, uncheck 'Dispay In Server List' from PZServerSettings.bat INI/serverdetails/

if your playing on same machine that is hosting the server, go to add a server from the Project Zomboid online menu.

put 127.0.0.1 as the IP address, and for the local IP address put whatever static LAN IP your machine has.

put admin as your user name, and your admin password. or you can log in as a normal user.

if its another machine on your network that is hosting just use it's static LAN IP in the IP address field.

depending on your router, it might not show up for you in the PZserver list (if you set it to public) but may still be seen by others.

configfiles/world settings are located @ C:\Users\username\Zomboid\Server

world save files are located @ C:\Users\username\Zomboid\Saves\Multiplayer\servertest

your characters are saved @ C:\Users\username\Zomboid\Saves\Multiplayer

hope this helps.

Hey there, thanks for taking the time.

I followed your advice and double checked some stuff too, but still no dice.

I have turned off DMZ and went back to portforwarding while also adding the extra port for steam that I was not aware of, 8767. I actually enabled the steam port like this now: TCP 8760-8770. Just to be sure I guess...

One question though, when portforwarding I get the option for TCP, UDP or TCP/UDP. Should I only choose TCP? And if so, does that apply both for the server port and the steam port or does it vary between them? I am now using TCP for both.

Regarding the IP, if I use the public IP, I get nothing. But if I use 127.0.0.1 and then the local IP, 10.0.0.xx then I do get a read of the server. I get the correct amount of max players, which is 14, which I set on the ini file. I even get a read on the ping of the server and if I refresh, it changes slightly. 

But I cannot connect. It says: 

"Failed to establish P2P connection."

Any idea on what to do here?

no problem. i know how frustrating forwarding ports can be.

public IP won't always work from LAN. my router blocks traffic to the WAN IP for security purposes.

try reconnecting. i've had it fail, only to work the next time i tried.

steam only needs the two ports. if you haven't already set your machine to a static IP that is not in the DHCP range.

need more info. who is your ISP? what router(s) do you have? your running the server, and playing on the same machine?

please download and install the Open Port Check Tool (free download) and check to see if port forwarding is working.

if it still isn't working run the Double Router Detector(free download). being double routed can really mess port forwarding up.

Archived