Setting up a local server (please help)

Alexandclank

So me and my brother have been trying to create a server for a while now on the latest version but it never seems to work, we have tried using hamachi but that never seems to work, we have our computers in the same room and even when we just try using each others ip address's but it never works, i remember getting it to work once but i cant remember how. I launch the server and hamachi and then he tries to connect to me with my hamachi or normal ip but it doesnt work, it just says "failed to connect to server" and says it cant connect, neither of us can connect to each other, or our own servers and we would just like any advice or help. Any help on how to launch a server for just the two of us to play on would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ok, so i tried turning off windows firewall and my anti-virus (avast) and it still didn't appear as being online when i had the IP entered and the server hosted, i am not quite sure what to do, i don't know if i messed up with something else or not but i haven't been able to see my own server appear as online even when the window says it is and i haven't been able to connect to the server my brother hosted even when he could connect himself, we should be able to connect over lan but we even tried hamachi and nothing worked.

Sorry, I should have mentioned above; if you're the one hosting the server, use the IP 127.0.0.1 or the word localhost. It should then connect.

Just to be sure, is your server or client Steam-enabled? The server console will mention Steam after the server is set up / the client will have (Steam) by the version number on the main menu.

"not enabled' is what you want. You also don't want the client to be Steam-enabled, otherwise they won't communicate with one another.

Servers hosted on a LAN can't be a Steam enabled becuase Steam would require them to communicate iwth it, so it should be fine.

Can you take a screenshot of the console (opens with the Project Zomboid console on launch) after trying to connect? Maybe it'll tell us what's wrong. :)

Sorry for the lengthy process -- normally LAN/Hamachi servers are much simpler than this.