IWBUMS 'Steam must be running to play this game' message, but it is!

CaptKaspar

Question

I can not launch IWBUMS version 32.22 under OSX. I receive the message 'Steam must be running to play this game', but I definitely have Steam open and I launched the game from within Steam.

I have tried restarting Steam, restarting the computer, validating local files under Steam, a complete reinstall of PZ, and resetting all the Steam files using this method here.

If I revert back to version 32.16 I can launch the game, the music loads, but I am stuck at a black screen that I can not interact with.

I know there is a setting under Windows that can be changed within ProjectZomboid64.json, but I don't know what the corresponding file on OSX would be or where it is located.

I was hoping to use 32.22 under my OSX computer to test some server connection issues with my PC. The PC server is running 32.22 so I can't just use version 32.16 on the OSX device.

UPDATE: I found the Dzomboid.steam=1 setting under info.plist and had to open the file with Xcode.

It appears that it is indeed enabled for Steam.

So I am out of ideas...

4 answers to this question

Change that to "0" to play in Steam disabled mode if you just want to play. If game is still not launching after downgrading something weird is going on. It might be worth deleting the folder at Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Zomboid. This will delete your saves but should fix whatever is going on. Are you running any mods?

Can you follow this video and get me the output when you blackscreen? It's also worth maybe restarting computer as well. This is weird and should have been fixed already.

Hi there,

I had kind of the same issue, but under Win7 x64.

After starting the game through Steam, the message occurs: 'Steam must be running to play this game'.

I was missing the recent Steam-Update, after this Update everything works fine.

Maybe this not helping so solve CaptKaspars problem, but just for you to know!

Regards!

Thanks for the replies!

Before reading this I managed to solve the problem by doing a fresh install of Steam on the Mac. I was noticing some odd behavior with some other aspects of Steam and noticed some files missing from application support, so I just uninstalled it and reinstalled Steam and PZ.

I have no idea how, but I think Steam got corrupted.

Works great now on both 32.16 and 32.23!