My list of ideas (tunnels, herbalism, moats and much more)

hrot

Hi,
I started playing Project Zomboid a few weeks ago and im totally amazed, the game is very good
despite being in early acess and i just want to throw some ideas/suggestions of mine.
I read the suggestions which were already on the forum so nothing should repeat hopefully.
I'm not best at english but i hope you will understand me.

1. Ability to make tunnels and undeground hideout
will require wooden planks,nails, hammer, trowel (shovel too big to digging up tunnel)
and carpentry lvl 5 maybe? (in new system with 1-10lvl) + a lot of time

reason: tunnels are not dark magic, a normal person can easily do this with some knowledge
and tools and it's great way to have that plan B when for example your house is surrounded

by a horde of zombies.

Underground hideout is also very good  to be place for storage valuable things or to hide
from humans / to have very safe place to sleep

Also it could work as basement as it will be great for storage for example potatoes ( they need
dark, cool place and they can remain fresh very very long and that should be also in game, potatoes
= very good food even in winter when you can't farming)

Sewers and basements are planned in game so why not self made tunnels?

picture:

tunnel.jpg

2. Ability to make a pit trap to catch animals, zombies, humans
require shovel, sticks and leaves to cover

3. Climbing trees to look around at bigger distance (also to avoid animals maybe like wolfs etc. in
future builds with animals)

4. Moats

You can make moat with shovel and a lake or river, also you can make a small bridge.
Require shovel, river or lake and a lot of time.
Picture:

moat.jpg
reason: simple but very good way to keep zombies away from your base, you don't need any special
knowledge = every normal person can do this with just a shovel and hard work

5. Wire+some trash(like cans etc) attached to trees would make alarm system, good when sleeping in
forest / open area, instead of attaching to tress could also be made with sticks.

When zombies approach wires it will create a huge noise able to wake up character (like in TWD tv series)

6. Hiding in closets, under a bed to avoid zombie or human/npc

7. Difference between destruction and dismantling wooden structures

For example: if you destroy wooden wall with axe you only get destroyed wooden planks which can be
used only as fuel in campfire but if you dismantle wooden wall you get normal wooden planks and nails.

Dismantling will take longer than destroying also will require carpentry skill ( for example: lvl 3 wall can be
properly dismantled by someone with carpentry lvl 3)

8. You can get mattres from beds (now only way to get mattres is to craft one, not so realistic with
all these beds right?)

9. You can use stove to cook and to keep your house warm (kinda stupid with that stove to get
outside in rain to cook something)

picture:

stove.jpg

10. Climbing on wooden boxes and furniture in buildings (for example climbing on wooden boxes in
warehouse and then make a bed there for safety! )

11. Herbalism
Supplies of medicines are not infinite and you still need something to get rid of cold or heals
burns more quickly etc. Will require a herbalism book to start or trait (or both)

12. More difficult foraging because without any knowledge you can pick up something poisonous and
get sick/die (best example: mushrooms) and at that moment foraging is very easy way to keep your
character away from starving also should require some trait or book to have knowledge what is good/bad for your health.

13. Ability to remove completly grass with shovel/trowel to get only clean ground to prevent spreading fires.

14. With max lvl of carpentry ability to build a log cabin (something like in this link:
http://www.mungosaysbah.com/2006/11/build-log-cabin-alone-in-wilderness.html )

because such a safehouse is much stronger than cabins with just wooden planks also it's easier to
keep warm and it's not so hard to do

15. Normal books should also have a lot of pages and requires a lot of time to read (random
generator of pages, for example beetwen 200-400) to help survive these long, cold winter nights.

reason: realism, normal books have the same amount of pages as gardening etc. books.
also normal books could give some random intresting facts, little skills like in real life when for
example you read Karol May's books (German writer, noted mainly for adventure novels set in the
American Old West if someone don't know him) you could learn something useful to survive in
wilderness.

That's all for now but i will probably update topic with new ideas in couple of days.
Also great thanks to devs for this really great game.

Feel free to discuss and sorry for my english  :)

A lot of those have already been suggested and/or confirmed.

1. been suggested, I think devs said we will be able to dig secret stashs, not sure about long tunnels. But as you said sewers are planned, so why not.

2. been suggested, confirmed.

3. don't think i've read that suggestion before, I kinda like it but I dont know if it's doable.

4. not sure about that one, that would be pretty OP.

5. been suggested, don't know if confirmed, wouldn't be surprised

6. been suggested, I'd like that, but don't know where the devs stand on the idea.

7/8. being able to dismantle furnitures with screwdrivers to move them somewhere else is something that's been confirmed I think.

9. been suggested, I think it's confirmed.

10. been suggested, don't know about confirmation.

11. been suggested, maybe a future skill/profession (or something that will be attached to farming/growing plants?)

12. yep foraging is a bit OP right now, it's very likely to undergo some changes.

13. you can remove grass already ! and/or you can put sand/gravel on grass tiles.

14. at lvl 0 carpentry you can make log walls with logs and ropes. the tricky part is making a roof ;o

15. it's been recently said that books will have their own overhaul soon-ish !

I didn't know so many of my suggestions were suggested before, thanks for info.

I know about log walls obviously but a log cabin is something different, you can't build a house from logs for now in game, you can't do a window frame and a roof etc. ( I fixed link in my first post so you can see what's i'm talking about).

7. Now you can destroy wall with axe and then you have undamaged planks + nails, when you destroy wooden wall with sledgehammer

it just magically disappear. It's not realistic and logical. It should be something like this(wooden wall for example):

Dismantling with hammer = undamaged planks + nails

Destryoing with axe = damaged planks, 0 nails

Destroying with sledgehammer = damaged planks, 0 nails

13. I know that it's doable to remove grass but it can't be done to clear ground ( just dirt) but to just less grass and it don't do such a difference for fire and putting sand on grass is kind of unlogical and unnecessary when i want just a clear ground and don't have sand bags.

Would be nice to hear some opinions on moats and climbing trees.