Connecting to Server Failed

Khangirey

Just had my friend pick up PZ, and we had a mind to play some multiplayer. I followed this guide here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5795-how-to-run-a-server/,

and set up a private server. When I ran the batch file, generating the folders, the cmd asked me to create a username and password, which I did for the admin. Next, I used the sql editor to create an id for my friend. My router was already in a DMZ, so I just ran the server. I could join using my local IP address, but my friend couldn't join with the IP I gave him. What could be the problem? All my ports should be open, yet he still can't join. 

Just had my friend pick up PZ, and we had a mind to play some multiplayer. I followed this guide here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5795-how-to-run-a-server/,

and set up a private server. When I ran the batch file, generating the folders, the cmd asked me to create a username and password, which I did for the admin. Next, I used the sql editor to create an id for my friend. My router was already in a DMZ, so I just ran the server. I could join using my local IP address, but my friend couldn't join with the IP I gave him. What could be the problem? All my ports should be open, yet he still can't join. 

1. Connect via "localhost" for yourself (without quotes) if you don't use this, you're going to find some bugs down the line.

2. Double, triple check the ports and make sure it's all forwarded. You might also need to add an exception rule to the default Windows Security system. Anti-virus/firewalls can also mess with connections.

3. Make sure you are giving him an external IP address.

It should also be noted that unless you enable the whitelist, you won't need to worry about adding users to the db file. :)

Hope that helps!