Desura - when will it be updated to the latest release?

QQMoar

No etas? :(

Has something happened to delay things then? I only ask as Lemmy stated in several threads at the tail end of last year (see quotes below) that the build was on the brink of being released to Desura.. 

Desura will hopefully be updated in next day or two. Steam only gets newer builds earlier because it has beta functionality to allow multiple branches to replace the old expensive test versions we used to post on these forums.

The version on Steam 99% of people play is identical to the Desura version. Releasing what we've had on Desura would have pissed a ton of people off auto-updating them into broken builds or screwed saves.

Not Desura yet. As I say, the process to update Desura is a lot longer and we'd likely have had crashy versions up there a lot longer if we didn't hold back. I can only really release later tonight anyway due to time zones (Desura versions need approving Desura end) Just want a day or so of seeing everything working on all three platforms without serious issues and I'll update, promise x

No etas? :(

Has something happened to delay things then? I only ask as Lemmy stated in several threads at the tail end of last year (see quotes below) that the build was on the brink of being released to Desura.. 

Desura will hopefully be updated in next day or two. Steam only gets newer builds earlier because it has beta functionality to allow multiple branches to replace the old expensive test versions we used to post on these forums.

The version on Steam 99% of people play is identical to the Desura version. Releasing what we've had on Desura would have pissed a ton of people off auto-updating them into broken builds or screwed saves.

Not Desura yet. As I say, the process to update Desura is a lot longer and we'd likely have had crashy versions up there a lot longer if we didn't hold back. I can only really release later tonight anyway due to time zones (Desura versions need approving Desura end) Just want a day or so of seeing everything working on all three platforms without serious issues and I'll update, promise x

I was looking for the same, good job.

Sorry it's been so long :(

Today's Mondoid will likely cover this.

Unfortunately some annoyances prevented a stable Desura release so far. Since Desura doesn't offer a beta branch (yet - hopefully some time in the future) newer builds were only available to Steam users and Desura peeps might have felt a bit neglected.

Rest assured you people will get the stable build as fast as possible

<3

It really sucks and gives me a dicky tummy worrying about the lagging Desura stuff. We love Desura and so don't like to make a point of it and have to skirt around the issue and reasoning, but honestly at present it's about 10x more awkward for us to update the Desura builds, and usually takes me about 3-4 hours after midnight for us (australia time) back and forthing with the Desura peeps to get a build out, largely because of our own unique issues that need dealing with (the auto-downloadable one not so bad (Except that linux needs to be uploaded from linux), but the standalone zips are much more problematic, and are required at least for mac, and all needing packaging and uploading in entirety for each platform, normal and fanboy, which takes ages, especially now we haven't got the Amazon S3 to upload from) and Desura versions need authorizing that end, I don't have the power to just click a button and update people's games, and as Nasko said there is no beta functionality so we have to be sure that the version is solid.

On Steam I double click a '.bat' file and 10 seconds later its downloading on people's clients, so its much more immediate and we can do multiple uploads in a day and hotfix any serious issues within 10 mins of discovering them. Not meant as a criticism of Desura and why historically I've been a bit cagey about giving the full reasons for the lagging updates, but its just the reality of the situation that we need to make damn sure what we're putting up there is a) stable and good and b) not going to require another upload a few hours later. Each version we think will be gold and there's something which holds us back.

Honestly I feel crappy saying all this, the whole authorization stuff is important since Desura is more open than Valve so therefore more potential for abuse from malware or whatever. Also Desura doesn't have the resources behind them Valve do to get the kinda set up they have, although that might have changed since their buy out, I'm lead to believe cool things are incoming, so its no diss on their service which is wonderful and important, but at the same time want to make it clear whats going on so Desura people don't think we're just ignoring you or don't care.

Once we get it updated this time we'll look to improving the rate we upload there, as Desura is our first love and we vowed to continue supporting it, but just Steam's immediacy of upload kinda make that difficult at the moment. 

It really sucks and gives me a dicky tummy worrying about the lagging Desura stuff. We love Desura and so don't like to make a point of it and have to skirt around the issue and reasoning, but honestly at present it's about 10x more awkward for us to update the Desura builds, and usually takes me about 3-4 hours after midnight for us (australia time) back and forthing with the Desura peeps to get a build out, largely because of our own unique issues that need dealing with (the auto-downloadable one not so bad (Except that linux needs to be uploaded from linux), but the standalone zips are much more problematic, and are required at least for mac, and all needing packaging and uploading in entirety for each platform, normal and fanboy, which takes ages, especially now we haven't got the Amazon S3 to upload from) and Desura versions need authorizing that end, I don't have the power to just click a button and update people's games, and as Nasko said there is no beta functionality so we have to be sure that the version is solid.

On Steam I double click a '.bat' file and 10 seconds later its downloading on people's clients, so its much more immediate and we can do multiple uploads in a day and hotfix any serious issues within 10 mins of discovering them. Not meant as a criticism of Desura and why historically I've been a bit cagey about giving the full reasons for the lagging updates, but its just the reality of the situation that we need to make damn sure what we're putting up there is a) stable and good and b) not going to require another upload a few hours later. Each version we think will be gold and there's something which holds us back.

Honestly I feel crappy saying all this, the whole authorization stuff is important since Desura is more open than Valve so therefore more potential for abuse from malware or whatever. Also Desura doesn't have the resources behind them Valve do to get the kinda set up they have, although that might have changed since their buy out, I'm lead to believe cool things are incoming, so its no diss on their service which is wonderful and important, but at the same time want to make it clear whats going on so Desura people don't think we're just ignoring you or don't care.

Once we get it updated this time we'll look to improving the rate we upload there, as Desura is our first love and we vowed to continue supporting it, but just Steam's immediacy of upload kinda make that difficult at the moment. 

Thanks for the detailed response. Completely see where you're coming from :)

Archived