mp newcomer questions :)

meonfire

hi ho :)

since today iam also a proud pz server owner but i got a few questions

i googled / checked out the forums for an hour now but i cant find what iam looking for :/

so i got a few questions :)

how do i set a server password ... i cant find the option to configure this

how do i enable the whitelist ? ... cant find it either

is there a list where i can say who is an admin and who isnt ?

i hope someone may explain this to me noob friendly :D .. at least how to find the "configure password" option

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5813-how-to-administrate-a-server/

This should answer all your questions.

As an admin in game you can add users to the admin database (which is covered in the server commands section of the thread.) Give it a read through and if you still have questions then just reply to this thread and we'll see about taking it from there. :)

okay one of my main problems is that the create server faq says

"When you first launch your server, or if no "admin" account exist, a password for the user 'admin' will be asked in your console"

i rent a server via a server hoster because i want a 24/7 server ;) .. i have never been asked about a password

is there a way to force this dialog ? ... where do i find the file to edit this stuff via notepad+ ?

when i want to log on my server i just have to enter the ip and BAM -> char creation ->play the game

iam kinda screwed even before i want do admin stuff ... i just wanna configure some kind of main password before you login to the server (the screen where you enter server ip)

i found "servertest ini" with these options

PVP=true
PauseEmpty=true
GlobalChat=true
Open=true
ServerWelcomeMessage=stuff ;)
LogLocalChat=true
AutoCreateUserInWhiteList=true
DisplayUserName=true
SpawnPoint=0,0,0
SafetySystem=true
ShowSafety=true
SafetyToggleTimer=100
SafetyCooldownTimer=120
SpawnItems=
DefaultPort=16261
ResetID=263560214
Mods=
Map=Muldraugh, KY
SpawnRegions=servertest_spawnregions.lua
DoLuaChecksum=true
Public=false
PublicName=Zomboid ROXX
PublicDescription=lets play some zomboid
MaxPlayers=12
PingFrequency=10
PingLimit=400
HoursForLootRespawn=0
server_browser_announced_ip= xxx.xxx.

maybe iam blind but i cant see the entry that says password or admin data ... this has to be written down somewhere *scratches head*

iam sure it cant be that hard to configure a zomboid server just need some jump start assist :D

okay one of my main problems is that the create server faq says

"When you first launch your server, or if no "admin" account exist, a password for the user 'admin' will be asked in your console"

i rent a server via a server hoster because i want a 24/7 server ;) .. i have never been asked about a password

is there a way to force this dialog ? ... where do i find the file to edit this stuff via notepad+ ?

when i want to log on my server i just have to enter the ip and BAM -> char creation ->play the game

iam kinda screwed even before i want do admin stuff ... i just wanna configure some kind of main password before you login to the server (the screen where you enter server ip)

i found "servertest ini" with these options

PVP=true

PauseEmpty=true

GlobalChat=true

Open=true

ServerWelcomeMessage=stuff ;)

LogLocalChat=true

AutoCreateUserInWhiteList=true

DisplayUserName=true

SpawnPoint=0,0,0

SafetySystem=true

ShowSafety=true

SafetyToggleTimer=100

SafetyCooldownTimer=120

SpawnItems=

DefaultPort=16261

ResetID=263560214

Mods=

Map=Muldraugh, KY

SpawnRegions=servertest_spawnregions.lua

DoLuaChecksum=true

Public=false

PublicName=Zomboid ROXX

PublicDescription=lets play some zomboid

MaxPlayers=12

PingFrequency=10

PingLimit=400

HoursForLootRespawn=0

server_browser_announced_ip= xxx.xxx.

maybe iam blind but i cant see the entry that says password or admin data ... this has to be written down somewhere *scratches head*

iam sure it cant be that hard to configure a zomboid server just need some jump start assist :D

When you say hosted server are you talking about a VPS or is it from a game server hoster that specifically supports Project Zomboid?

yeah exactly :)

its a legit hoster that is hosting zomboid servers since yesterday .. its called nitrado

i think the main problem is that the dialog does appear on their rig instead of mine because they are hosting stuff

but as far i understand this server guide the dialog that should show up allows me to create an admin account so i can change stuff ingame on the fly

would be nice to have this but this isnt the password configuration iam looking for at the moment

i want to configurate a password that everyone must enter when try to join the server
(on the screen where you enter the ip is also a "server password" entry )

at the moment you can leave it blank .. just klick and join

or is this dialog necessary to configure this too ? ... still cant find an option for this :/

damn feeling so stupid right now -.-

yeah exactly :)

its a legit hoster that is hosting zomboid servers since yesterday .. its called nitrado

i think the main problem is that the dialog does appear on their rig instead of mine because they are hosting stuff

but as far i understand this server guide the dialog that should show up allows me to create an admin account so i can change stuff ingame on the fly

would be nice to have this but this isnt the password configuration iam looking for at the moment

i want to configurate a password that everyone must enter when try to join the server

(on the screen where you enter the ip is also a "server password" entry )

at the moment you can leave it blank .. just klick and join

or is this dialog necessary to configure this too ? ... still cant find an option for this :/

damn feeling so stupid right now -.-

It would have to be something you would contact them about. Either they sent you an e-mail with the info, or it might use default values of "admin" for username and "test" for password, without the quotes of course. Doesn't work, then you need to message them and see what they say.

okay ill do this .. actually they got a very friendy and cool support

but please just answer one more question so that i kinda understand whats going on and whats to do

this admin dialog is necessary to configure a password @ server login screen ?

quick reference .. i want to configure this .. aka a password everyone must  enter before joining the server

http://i.imgur.com/vSVopqm.png

okay ill do this .. actually they got a very friendy and cool support

but please just answer one more question so that i kinda understand whats going on and whats to do

this admin dialog is necessary to configure a password @ server login screen ?

quick reference .. i want to configure this .. aka a password everyone must  enter before joining the server

http://i.imgur.com/vSVopqm.png

That's for regular users, usually associated with a whitelist.

Admin password is set up from the server terminal, which due to the nature of your hosting package, you don't have access to.

so there is no quick way to spread my server ip and everyone who wants to join has to enter a password to play

just that no one may join that isnt "invited"

i must configure each user as admin and everyone will get a different password  ?

dont know i kinda imagine it like this

open configuration file -> set a password -> give people ip + password -> happy "family and friends" server :D

big fat THANK YOU for explaining stuff to me btw :)