Undead Fire

Bonesmccoy81

The fire spreading system. Not sure if this should go under bugs or suggestions but the fire seems quite off.

I built a camp in the woods, got a fire going, walked through it and lit myself. Ran around and a few other things started burning. And then I died. OK. Cool. Good. That's fine.

Came back the next day. Made a few new characters and came back to the spot. The forest was fine but the CAMP IS STILL BURNING. It was burning in the weirdest random spots and kept burning the same burn spots that were already burnt from burning. Redundant? Yeaaaa. What kind of fire sticks around that long? Its like a 40 yr old virgin still living with mom and doesn't want to move out.

The spreading of fire shouldnt be that insane, especially if there is no way to put it out. It looks as if it teleports to different tiles.

Here are some suggestions to make it more lifelike. Have the fire die out completely once the fuel on tile is depleted. If an adjacent tile is flammable & not already on fire, after every 5 to 10 seconds, give it a chance to catch on fire. The bigger the flame size, the better the chance of fire. No teleporting to different tiles, only touching ones. Don't need to worry about diagonals. Top, bottom, left, and right should do. If those tiles catch fire, they will take care of the diagonals next.

Animation. Seems like there are 3 or 4 different sized ones that pop in and out. Very noticeable. Have one animation fadeout while the new one fades in, overlapping. Or scale the animation up or down to fit the previous. Not sure what your animation system can do but that should make it smoother.

Player interaction. Have a random amount of time it takes for the player to catch fire. 3-10 seconds And not always instantly when standing on the fire.

Id like to be able to stomp out a small fire or pour water on the bigger ones, reduce its size then stomp out as I see fit. Corpses should burn and turn blackish, right know they look perfectly uncharred after a fire.

TL;DR Redundant fire is redundant.