Weird issues trying to run game at resolution different from monitor's native resolution

My setup: 1 4k monitor and 2 1080p monitors

Trying to run game on 4k monitor (it's the biggest and is also the one closest to my face, making it the best one to use for gaming)

When trying to run Project Zomboid on any other resolution other than 4k in borderless window is not possible, game will change nothing and run at 4k anyway when you try to run it at 1080p

Trying to run the game at 1080p in fullscreen causes the game to try and open on a secondary monitor for some reason, before deciding to run at 4k anyway on said secondary monitor before then returning on the primary display, at 4k

Game does not want to run at any resolution that isnt the monitor's native resolution, Will try to find a monitor with the resolution you set and run on that one instead.

If it does somehow decide to run at 1080p, it will only take up 1/4 of the monitor area in the top left corner.

Possible fix: Well Cities Skylines is able to run at resolutions other than the monitor's native resolution just fine, so it's likely not a windows problem.  A potential fix would be a setting that forces the game to run on the display you specify (so it doesn't try to do that weird monitor hop thing), as well as forcing it to take up the full screen space rather than just the corner when in full screen and borderless window.

Borderless windowed mode will always scale to the maximum resolution of the main monitor at this moment. The game will always try to run on the Main Display selected in the Windows display settings.

A possible fix for your situation is disabling the two secondary monitors, then run the game in 1080p fullscreen mode on your 4k monitor and see if it runs correctly. Then you can enable them again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm having similar issues with the Mac version.

I'm running a Macbook Pro connected to an external 1080p 16:9 monitor. As well as the issues furimmerallein mentioned, it seems to only accept the odd screen ratio of the MacBook, regardless of which screen I'm using, and won't even offer me 1920x1080 or any as an option on the external monitor. Even in borderless windowed, the closest I can get to the correct ratio will have the bottom of the screen cut off, with some UI elements inaccessible. 

Also, sometimes it will randomly open only taking up about 70% of the screen (on either display), weirdly off-centre. When this happens, the mouse cursor is out of whack. For example, if I want to click the 'back' button, I have to position the mouse a couple of cm above and to the right of the button, before it highlights and I can click it. 

Also, windowed borderless on the Macbook display doesn't scale to fit the screen properly, it leaves a blue gap at the top because of the notch I guess. Also, sometimes it just doesn't let me change the resolution. I will choose an option from the menu, click apply, and it will stay how it is while still showing the confirmation dialogue.

I did briefly get it fitting on the external monitor, after messing around with a bunch of different options on the Mac, then moving it to the external with a strange lower resolution selected, but upon restarting it reverted to being wrong again. And I can't remember how I did it anyway.

Mac computers with the latest M1-M3 chips are not supported as written on the Steam page, issues will be expected on them, such as various resolution problems.
However, you could try fixing them by either setting the game to Windowed or Borderless modes.

Additionally, you may need to go to your Mac Display settings and make sure the Display Scaling is disabled there, since that can cause the issues with scaling the game.