Project Zomboid not launching when clicking play on Steam, through both launch options

longbow122

Question

Every time I try launching Project Zomboid, either through a desktop shortcut, or through Steam itself with launch options, it will immediately crash and fail to start up. 

I've noticed that changing displays might bring about issues, so I tried updating drivers, but that didn't fix the issue at all. I haven't tried anything else, although I'm about to try re-installing Zomboid. 

I'm using Windows 10 22H2, and am playing with the current release of Zomboid. I've uploaded both the console log, and the error log which I was told to look at when trying to launch the game through the BAT file within the Zomboid game files. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

console.txt hs_err_pid9768.log

7 answers to this question

Interesting, in that case, go to “C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid” and delete everything there except the “Saves” folder.
Then see if that helps.

If it does not, try disabling the external monitor and use your laptop screen as a test to see if the game launches, this would give us more info as to what the exact problem is.

Hello,

I'm using an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, with a Radeon Vega 7 iGPU on the TongFang PF5NU1G. 

It is an older model of the Via 15 Pro and would be the Eluktronics THINN-15 in the US.

I have one monitor connected through a HDMI-HDMI cable. My laptop monitor is disabled and I am using just my external monitor in this case. 

Hello, 

Deleting everything in the folder you mentioned except the "Saves" folder has fixed my issue. Thank you very much for your help!

Will I have to do this every time I change monitors? I will be using my laptop screen to game as standard next month, and will likely be switching between the external monitor I am using right now and my laptop screen every so often for a good few years.

If the second monitor has a different resolution or refresh rate, you might need to do this, since the configuration for the monitors is saved in the "Lua" folder, and if the resolutions do not match up, the game might fail to start.

I see. Thank you for the information. I assume that there is no way to have multiple configurations for multiple monitors, letting me use ~3 different monitors to run Zomboid on? (In all 3 cases, I will likely be either using my laptop screen to play, or the laptop screen will be disabled, using the external monitor to play)

Run the game on the monitor with the highest resolution, that should make it compatible with all of them.
Then run the game in either Borderless or Windowed modes, those should also run on all the monitors.