Laziness

Denchik

That is, the folders related to the server where all the progress is located simply remained untouched
But I noticed this later, because after renaming, I clicked on "start the server"
It was a fatal mistake, because the game just started creating new files from an already created server)))
An attempt to roll back the changes also did not give anything, because even the game logs are updated WITH EACH CHANGE instead of creating another backup.
Why am I doing this
Developers either simply do not test their innovations, or they do not care about the work of their own game. Otherwise, I cannot explain the LACK of ANY EXPLANATIONS in each point of the server configuration. In the end, I managed to find and, in a sense, "revive" our save, but my character, which was re-generated, is lost forever, because the game, and in particular the server, does not provide for the possibility of transferring a character from one server to another, EVEN IF THERE IS A FOLDER WITH HIS PROFILE.
Developers just need to remove half of the restrictions on reading character files so that in case of such breakdowns, they can restore the character and the server, making a backup copy of the entire server each time.
All this nonsense related to the "anti-cheat" or the ban on the use of cheats is more than meaningless, since most people do NOT play on servers with 20+ people but play with friends.
I do not know if the developers will see this post, but I have played their game for 1600 hours and am a fan of it, but the fact that the developers are NOT DOING ANYTHING for a stable game over the network just annoys me. Can I find out when you will expand the window for adding mods to the server?? This little window where you force to add mods piece by piece, is this a joke? What prevented you from making the same window as for a single game so that not 8 mods in the list are shown, but all 20??? I have 300+ mods on my server that I have added MANUALLY more than once, BY CLICKING ON EACH OF THEM, BECAUSE, AS ALWAYS, YOU DID NOT WANT TO ADD THE "ADD ALL" BUTTON.
Thanks for attention.

You could just change the name back. It's not as though it does anything beyond changing the save folder of the game and the pre-pended name for the configs. 

And there's absolutely nothing stopping you from copying the data from /saves/multiplayer/whateverMyOldServerWasCalled to /saves/Multiplayer/NewServer or from renaming the old configs to match the new servername.

It's purely an organizational thing for your local computer, for those that want to have multiple servers on the same machine. 

12 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Вы можете просто изменить имя обратно. Это не значит, что он делает что-то, кроме изменения папки сохранения игры и предустановленного имени для конфигов.

И ничто не мешает скопировать данные из /saves/multiplayer/whateverMyOldServerWasCalled в /saves/Multiplayer/NewServer или переименовать старые конфигурации в соответствии с новым именем сервера.

Это чисто организационная вещь для вашего локального компьютера, для тех, кто хочет иметь несколько серверов на одной машине.

Are you sure you read my post? The character profile can no longer be returned because the server was ALREADY started after the name change, it created a new character and linked it to the old one.
My message was to ensure that the developers either removed the rename button or made the button change the name ON ALL FOLDERS linked to the name, or even better, that all players who play on the server were saved on the host computer, and not everyone on their own computer.
Also, what data do you suggest to copy? Which have already been deleted and cannot be restored due to the lack of an adequate server backup? What is the point of talking about copying the server to a specific location MANUALLY if the GAME does not do this and it is not indicated anywhere??

What kind of organization can we talk about if the game is not able to keep ALL the SETTINGS in one folder? Is it really so problematic to make a separate folder where the ini, lua and all other folders with the world and characters will be?
I repeat, my message to the developers is only to finish the simplest work with creating/editing/restoring the server in case of any problems AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, disable the "protection" from adding a third-party player profile ON YOUR server. As a host, I cannot add a character TO MY OWN server simply because there is protection in the server that cannot be disabled. And what is most interesting, now when you open the "key" instead of numbers, there is nothing there.

It’s not possible for the new character to be linked to the old one. Each server exists entirely separately. Assuming you didn’t delete the original files, you change the name back to the original and you’re done or you rename the folder and settings to match the new name, as said above.

if you did delete your original files or only partially migrated the files to a different computer, then I’m sorry to say that you made some bad assumptions about how things work. Next time make a complete backup of the entire zomboid folder instead. 

I don’t know what protection you’re talking about, otherwise. There’s nothing that prevents an admin account from creating a new user or adding/removing users from the db. I’ll be best to show me what you’re doing with a screenshot or video.

38 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Новый персонаж не может быть связан со старым. Каждый сервер существует совершенно отдельно. Предполагая, что вы не удалили исходные файлы, вы меняете имя обратно на исходное, и все готово, или вы переименовываете папку и настройки, чтобы они соответствовали новому имени, как было сказано выше.

Если вы удалили исходные файлы или лишь частично перенесли их на другой компьютер, то, к сожалению, вы сделали несколько неверных предположений о том, как все работает. В следующий раз сделайте полную резервную копию всей папки zomboid вместо этого.

Я не знаю, о какой защите вы говорите, иначе. Ничто не мешает учетной записи администратора создавать новых пользователей или добавлять/удалять пользователей из базы данных. Лучше всего я покажу мне, что вы делаете, с помощью скриншота или видео.

Here is a video showing the "recovery" of a deleted character. The server does not care about the absence of an ID
Show me in the video how I can DELETE a CHARACTER without killing him in the game.
AND ALSO HOW DO I ADD A CHARACTER FROM, FOR EXAMPLE, another server.

You're hosting a server. Your SteamID is your username and name of the character. 

Your character's folder (the one that ends in _player) doesn't really matter, as the player data is sent from the players.db found in the server's folder.

I don't know why the delete button isn't working for you, as it's easy to test and it seems to work fine for me.  Did deleting the character work prior to renaming the server? If so, perhaps it's the use of Cyrillic characters in the folder name. It should otherwise just delete the character. It could also be one of the many, many mods you installed possibly interfering with this. If you upload the console.txt from %UserProfile%\Zomboid after trying to delete the character again, we can take a look and see if there's any obvious error.

To move characters between two existing servers, you're going to have a lot of fun. You'll need to somehow the blob data from one players.db to another by using an SQLLite database editor, like SQLiteAdmin. It's not something that ever really comes up. 

2 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You're hosting a server. Your SteamID is your username and name of the character. 

Your character's folder (the one that ends in _player) doesn't really matter, as the player data is sent from the players.db found in the server's folder.

I don't know why the delete button isn't working for you, as it's easy to test and it seems to work fine for me.  Did deleting the character work prior to renaming the server? If so, perhaps it's the use of Cyrillic characters in the folder name. It should otherwise just delete the character. It could also be one of the many, many mods you installed possibly interfering with this. If you upload the console.txt from %UserProfile%\Zomboid after trying to delete the character again, we can take a look and see if there's any obvious error.

To move characters between two existing servers, you're going to have a lot of fun. You'll need to somehow the blob data from one players.db to another by using an SQLLite database editor, like SQLiteAdmin. It's not something that ever really comes up. 

It always happens that I have constant crashes and errors on my computer, nothing ever works.
But still, it would be nice if the entire server was saved in one folder and renamed the whole, and not partially and led to this.

console.txt

I don't disgaree about moving everything into a single folder, it's just we end up  wrecking about 8 years of content online about hosting servers; an absolute ton of it that we can't change. Server hosts (as in the big companies) also aren't fast to adapt / do not do regular research. We'd basically be breaking a lot to do it.  That's not to say it won't happen at some point, but there are reasons it's left as-is. We'll discuss if it makes sense to make those changes now, given how long Build 42 has been in the works, but it might also be "one thing too many."

---

For your crashes, your hardware looks good, honestly. I'm surprised you'd have unstabilities in your system. If you check Event Viewer, go to System, and then Filter by Error, you might be able to narrow it down. For example, I regularly got crashes with a newer Dell that had similar specs. It ended up being PCI-E related. At first, I thought it was issues with the NVMe, then the GPU, but it turned out to be a fault in the motherboard. You might get luckier though and find it's just a setting in Windows or a bad driver / USB device causing the problem.

---

For the game itself: if you're starting the 32-bit version of the game, it looks like something is forcing the game to use only a maximum of 1024 MB. Go to the Start menu, find Control Panel, find System, then go to Advanced. Open  System Environment Variables near the bottom. See if you have a JAVA_OPTIONS variable. If you do see it, delete it. (Chances are, if you installed an old version of MineCraft at some point, it came from there.) If this proves to exist, and you have crashes with the game/server, this might be why.

I'll try and reproduce the issue with the admin character not getting deleted. The log does only mention deleting the _player folder, which is not enough. So it could well be a problem with the base game. 

Edit: I'm able to reproduce it. Probably the only thing you can do is edit the players.db (the one in the folder that does not end in _players)  to remove the character's save manually. That means using a program like SQLLiteAdmin to look at the players data in the db.

Alternatively, if you're resetting everyone's characters, deleting players.db should clear them all. 

26 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I don't disgaree about moving everything into a single folder, it's just we end up  wrecking about 8 years of content online about hosting servers; an absolute ton of it that we can't change. Server hosts (as in the big companies) also aren't fast to adapt / do not do regular research. We'd basically be breaking a lot to do it.  That's not to say it won't happen at some point, but there are reasons it's left as-is. We'll discuss if it makes sense to make those changes now, given how long Build 42 has been in the works, but it might also be "one thing too many."

---

For your crashes, your hardware looks good, honestly. I'm surprised you'd have unstabilities in your system. If you check Event Viewer, go to System, and then Filter by Error, you might be able to narrow it down. For example, I regularly got crashes with a newer Dell that had similar specs. It ended up being PCI-E related. At first, I thought it was issues with the NVMe, then the GPU, but it turned out to be a fault in the motherboard. You might get luckier though and find it's just a setting in Windows or a bad driver / USB device causing the problem.

---

For the game itself: if you're starting the 32-bit version of the game, it looks like something is forcing the game to use only a maximum of 1024 MB. Go to the Start menu, find Control Panel, find System, then go to Advanced. Open  System Environment Variables near the bottom. See if you have a JAVA_OPTIONS variable. If you do see it, delete it. (Chances are, if you installed an old version of MineCraft at some point, it came from there.) If this proves to exist, and you have crashes with the game/server, this might be why.

I'll try and reproduce the issue with the admin character not getting deleted. The log does only mention deleting the _player folder, which is not enough. So it could well be a problem with the base game. 

Edit: I'm able to reproduce it. Probably the only thing you can do is edit the players.db (the one in the folder that does not end in _players)  to remove the character's save manually. That means using a program like SQLLiteAdmin to look at the players data in the db.

Alternatively, if you're resetting everyone's characters, deleting players.db should clear them all. 

Java is not on the computer
The game is launched via steam (x64)
There were similar problems earlier when the system was not on m2 sd, but then I just didn't pay attention to it.
And also, I personally am not surprised, the program that you recommended to me also does not work and cannot open a file with players.
But you know, I'm already slowly ceasing to be interested in this issue because I'm just tired of messing with the game every time
So.. I suggest closing the topic, because there is no solution to this problem and probably will not be.
Thanks for the assumptions, but progress has already been lost to some extent and I don't want to return it yet, I'm tired of starting over every time. I will be waiting for updates with a more favorable server setup and the ability to save/transfer it in case of problems, thank you.

image.thumb.png.69df911cecacac24e97ffdcfd7bbe5c8.png