Project Zomboid servers list -- suggestions?

indifferentbroccoli

I'm building a site to help players discover new servers to play on (as an alternative to Battlemetrics): https://indifferentbroccoli.com/servers/projectzomboid

One issue I have with the Battlemetrics interface is that it doesn't allow the server owners to showcase the personality of their server. Every server in the BM list is one line of text. I've based my design on YouTube video thumbnails--to make the server browser more visual.

image.thumb.png.064e0b239b61340812ef52973ca34e15.png

As server owners trying to recruit new players and/or players trying to find servers--what other issues do you have with lists like Battlemetrics? What would your ideal server browser look like?

This project is still in the early days, so any and all feedback is appreciated.

P.s. I anticipate feedback about showcasing all servers, and not only ib hosted servers. That is the ultimate plan. But to start, I needed to populate the browser with an initial list of servers.

Edited by indifferentbroccoli
pre-addressing a piece of feedback

• 1 month later...

Great Idea. I use Indifferent Broccoli and the Battlemetric service but havent really seen the benefit of this as means of broadcasting our server. 

We've hosted servers for many different games over the last 20 years and know this is a great way to attract new players and keep server pops fresh. Ideally, I think you'd need it to be independent to server hosts and haver a universal PX community website endorse or promote it. 

It should be interactive and allow filtering (eg. filtering mods enabled/ PVP/ PVE, etc).

A good way of filtering map addons too - these are something that long standing players like to be able to see.

I always like servers that can show average players on a server too rather than just active players. As this gives a more realistic view of a server as time goes on and how consistent it is.

I used to like the Gametracker servers that allowed you to see in-game points scores or a means to rank players (this gave added incentive to players) and ideally this would be transferable between servers - I appreciate this probably requires some kind of universal in-game metric though like rank system or whatever - but maybe in-game hours? That would give an idea of how experienced players are at least.

Maybe a way to promote your server via forums with nice hyper links to show off your server? 

Maybe some way of linking streamers channels to the server?