Player's safehouse loses ownership but is not logged.

mikeyoh

Our server is experiencing a bug where a few selected players lose ownership of their safehouses randomly. I checked the server logs and the safehouse never got removed from the player.

I have no idea what could even cause this as it's happening to the same few players.

Any idea or has anyone else experience this?

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Beard said:

Do you perhaps have the Safehouse Removal time set in the server settings? And how is the server installed and run exactly?

These are the settings. I don't see anything odd. What is odd is that the log never register these specific players to be removed from their safehouses? And I've dug into the codes, whenever a safehouse gets added/removed it should log. Unless the server is acting on its own?

SaveWorldEveryMinutes=15
PlayerSafehouse=true
AdminSafehouse=false
SafehouseAllowTrepass=false
SafehouseAllowFire=false
SafehouseAllowLoot=false
SafehouseAllowRespawn=true
SafehouseDaySurvivedToClaim=1
SafeHouseRemovalTime=168
SafehouseAllowNonResidential=true
AllowDestructionBySledgehammer=true
SledgehammerOnlyInSafehouse=false

I am hosting externally using Nitrado.

Try removing the Safehouse removal time, set it to 0 as a test.

If the issue continues, it would likely be an issue with Nitrando, since as far as I am aware, they might not restart the server properly. Meaning each time the server restarts, there will be safehouse loss due to that.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, Beard said:

If the issue continues, it would likely be an issue with Nitrando, since as far as I am aware, they might not restart the server properly. Meaning each time the server restarts, there will be safehouse loss due to that.

The issue persists, but i don't think it's a restart issue. This problem also happens when the server has been running for some time.

One of my mod witness the event and this is what she said- The player got kicked from their safehouse, then other players are added to the kicked players safehouse. The kicked player was added to another player's safehouse. Random players were also added randomly to safehouses as guest.

I tried claiming the safehouse as admin for the player, and while I did not get kick, the player got kicked as a guest and the same issue as above happens.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, Beard said:

Also is this due to the player claiming the second floor of a non-residential building? I noticed that players can still claim second floor of a commercial building because it's marked as residential area? That also creates an invisible barrier to the whole building, enclosing the commercial zone.

The setting for SafehouseAllowNonResidential=false by default on our server, and I had it true before to test the issue. But seeing how the player was able to claim it in the first place begs the question whether the setting includes the second floor?

That is fairly unusual as you are describing it. Do you perhaps have any mods enabled in that case? As I have not heard any similar reports, and there are many servers with safehouses. Meaning it might be caused by mods if you have some.

2 hours ago, Beard said:

That is fairly unusual as you are describing it. Do you perhaps have any mods enabled in that case? As I have not heard any similar reports, and there are many servers with safehouses. Meaning it might be caused by mods if you have some.

We do not have mods. It's a vanilla server with lua scripts edited.

I suspect is might be because we disabled LuaCheckSum for server-side edits that add items to player's inventory. Therefore that specific player's client is being hacked to mess with client-side functions. That would make sense safehouses are affected because safehouse is client-side? I have not heard other players bring this issue up. And it doesn't seem like the issue occurs when that specific player is offline. The player is not the hacker, I can attest to that. 

Can someone tap into a player's client to modify safehouses?

We do not recommend disabling Lua Checksum for normal gameplay, since it can open the door to many further issues if the files between the client and servers do not match, it also allows for very easy cheating.
It is certainly possible to edit safehouses if you do not have the checksum enabled.