Local Hosted Server copy available for every member that joined

poyoto

Hi there guys! First I wanted to thank you for the making of this great game. My friends and me are really hooked and we love it.

So here's the thing: I wanted to know if there's a way to, if I make a local hosted server, all the members that I invite can have a copy of it. So when I can't be online to run the server, whoever wants to play can local host it. 

I was thinking something like storing the server and world info maybe, for example, on steamcloud, so that the "updated" version of the server and world could be always available for everyone who joined previously. 

Thanks for reading! 

Edited by poyoto

20 hours ago, getstoopid said:

"for free" I guess not... but there are plenty hosting provider for simple linux based servers under 10€/$ per month, where you could easily run a game (in a docker container it's easy to setup also). If you and your friends split the cost this should be possible? 

Yes maybe we'll do that. Although maybe the idea of the game syncing the server files with each member could be an interesting way to get rid of the need of external hosts to play with friends easily.

22 hours ago, getstoopid said:

I guess maybe you could use some (cloudbased) file repo like github, any collaboration platform or even a simple cloudstore to achieve a (very limited) sync. But you would definetely run into troubles if there are conflicts (two "solo" games at the same time) and in my opinion not worth the bother

I understand. We'll dig into it and see how we proceed. Thanks for sharing your ideas!