Multiplayer Lag Spikes

Harmony

One of my friends hired a server and everything is normal when there are 3 of us playing, 120ms stable, 
when I play with +5 players, I have lag spikes from +500 ms to 1200 ms. 

Having connection of 300 mb by fiber optic cable

only the server is with 22 mods

22 hours ago, Beard said:

Well, if the server is now hosted in a different country, and the distance to the server is too large, your ping would be significantly higher due to that.

7.500km

but it doesn't make sense that it only has ping problems when people play, as if other players generated chunks causing me lag.

Check some forum on the internet and they say that it is fixed using -nosteam in launch options

That would be unlikely, as the default connection is already a direct connection. No steam would have nothing to do with this.
What you can try is using the Steam Relay, you can see it at the bottom right corner on the Main Menu > Join screen

4 hours ago, Beard said:

That would be unlikely, as the default connection is already a direct connection. No steam would have nothing to do with this.
What you can try is using the Steam Relay, you can see it at the bottom right corner on the Main Menu > Join screen

Steam relay doesn't work in my case,it's very frustrating I can't play with friends because of this.
if I have good and stable ping when I play alone or when there are 1 or 2

I can only recommend contacting your internet service provider about any network issues in that case. Since ping issues would purely just be related to the network and it having issues and not with the game itself.

26 minutes ago, Beard said:

I can only recommend contacting your internet service provider about any network issues in that case. Since ping issues would purely just be related to the network and it having issues and not with the game itself.

But how do I explain what happens to me only when x number of users enter?
I also thought of some closed port of mine but I'm not 100% sure

If you had a closed port then you would not be able to connect at all, network performance has nothing to do with ports.
Only way I can explain it is that either the server itself has issues handling the players, or alternatively your own network has issues synchronizing the information between all the players. Which would circle back to only the network provider being able to investigate the issue with the very high ping.

in console.txt

LOG  : General     , 1690840515761> 15.604.478> Zombie: removing stale zombie 5000 id=16401
WARN : Lua         , 1690840516287> 15.605.004> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840517892> 15.606.574> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840518816> 15.607.499> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840519949> 15.608.632> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840521341> 15.610.023> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840523035> 15.611.717> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840525104> 15.613.786> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840525579> 15.614.261> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840526013> 15.614.695> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
WARN : Lua         , 1690840526653> 15.615.335> LuaManager$GlobalObject.require> require("NVAPI/ctrl/instance") failed
LOG  : General     , 1690840527008> 15.615.690> Warning, root node parent is always null.

3 hours ago, Beard said:

Those messages seem very normal warning messages, not really issues. Are you having any problems when this shows up?

I see a lot of these

LOG  : General     , 1690845547449> 20.636.220> -----------------------------------------
STACK TRACE
-----------------------------------------
Callframe at: se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.MultiLuaJavaInvoker@5bba03cf
function: TocGetAmputationItemInInventory -- file: TOC_CommonFunctions.lua line # 101 | MOD: The Only Cure
function: TocUpdateEveryTenMinutes -- file: TOC_Update.lua line # 202 | MOD: The Only Cure

ERROR: General     , 1690845547450> 20.636.222> ExceptionLogger.logException> Exception thrown java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException at GeneratedMethodAccessor361.invoke.
ERROR: General     , 1690845547451> 20.636.223> DebugLogStream.printException> Stack trace:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor361.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.caller.MethodCaller.call(MethodCaller.java:62)
    at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.LuaJavaInvoker.call(LuaJavaInvoker.java:198)
    at se.krka.kahlua.integration.expose.MultiLuaJavaInvoker.call(MultiLuaJavaInvoker.java:79)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.callJava(KahluaThread.java:182)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:1007)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1980)
    at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcallvoid(KahluaThread.java:1812)
    at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcallvoid(LuaCaller.java:66)
    at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.protectedCallVoid(LuaCaller.java:139)
    at zombie.Lua.Event.trigger(Event.java:64)
    at zombie.Lua.LuaEventManager.triggerEvent(LuaEventManager.java:65)
    at zombie.GameTime.update(GameTime.java:671)
    at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.UpdateStuff(IngameState.java:566)
    at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.updateInternal(IngameState.java:1623)
    at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.update(IngameState.java:1333)
    at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.update(GameStateMachine.java:101)
    at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:298)
    at zombie.core.profiling.AbstractPerformanceProfileProbe.invokeAndMeasure(AbstractPerformanceProfileProbe.java:71)
    at zombie.GameWindow.frameStep(GameWindow.java:765)
    at zombie.GameWindow.run_ez(GameWindow.java:681)
    at zombie.GameWindow.mainThread(GameWindow.java:495)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.base/java.util.Objects.requireNonNull(Unknown Source)
    at zombie.inventory.ItemContainer$TypePredicate.init(ItemContainer.java:1386)
    at zombie.inventory.ItemContainer.getFirstType(ItemContainer.java:1864)
    at zombie.inventory.ItemContainer.FindAndReturn(ItemContainer.java:2376)

I was also reading that the only cure mod gives lag problems, because the game is constantly updating player models

1 hour ago, Beard said:

That is possible, though I am not sure if I can specifically help with the mod other than recommending you remove all mods and test if the issues happen without them as well.

Would playing with a VPN closer to the server help?

3 hours ago, Beard said:

It would depend, you can try it, but if the Steam relay did not help in your case then it would be unlikely.

i have 8gb of ram, maybe i have low ram allocated? 
although i play at 60 fps most of the time, i only go down to 30 when there are a lot of zed

according to a user tried something like this

- configure Port Forwarding in Router
Source: (https://help.steampowered.com/de/faqs/view/2EA8-4D75-DA21-31EB)
- On My Computer -> Network -> Network Adapter -> Disabled "QoS-Packageplanner"
Source: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/669A-2F68-D1D1-A5EC
- Restarted my router
- Started the game in Compatibilty mode

Should I have a special port open for multiplayer?
Edited by Harmony

3 hours ago, Beard said:

PCs already have all outgoing ports open by default, so you do not need to do anything with your own ports.

FAQ says

Q: I’m trapped in a server! The map won’t load anymore, what’s going on? It looks like a black border.

The following ports that should be forwarded is the 16261 as UDP as it’s considered a handshake port for the server. All further ports are configured as TCP and are used to configure map data to each user. So one port should be forwarded for every player you wish to have on the server. So for example 16262 - 16272

I am not sure where that info is from. It would be very outdated information unless you have a very strict firewall where your ports would be blocked.
TCP ports were not necessary to be opened since like 2015 if I remember correctly, and regardless, these tips are for the server owner, not players.

7 hours ago, Beard said:

I am not sure where that info is from. It would be very outdated information unless you have a very strict firewall where your ports would be blocked.
TCP ports were not necessary to be opened since like 2015 if I remember correctly, and regardless, these tips are for the server owner, not players.

I saw it on the wiki for the game, just in case, tell the host to see if it fixes the problem

I update, seems that something worked.

1:

all server ports were opened

2:

the mod of the only cure was removed

Edited by Harmony