If you continue a game with a new character, you should (optionally) retain a percentage of XP

leviathan_13

After you die with your character you are presented with a choice: either quit the world or create a new character and continue from there. I think there should be a sandbox option that enables a part of the XP to carry over to the new character. After all, the new character you are creating to continue a world is technically another survivor from that world that survived as long as your original character. Therefore, I find it a bit unrealistic that while your original character improved and learned quite a bit after months if not years, the other character stayed a noob until then and learned nothing.

I'm not suggesting this to be the default behavior. As for how it could be implemented, a possible way is to keep track of the amount of XP or traits points you actually earned (therefore excluding your initial stats) and carry over a percentage defined in the sandbox settings to the new character, e.g. 50%. Probably the best way to do that is giving the new character free traits points or raw XP that you can invest where you want (because it wouldn't make much sense to boost the same skills as the previous character by default). This XP "carryover" should somehow simulate the fact that the new character also survived all of this time in parallel to your original character.

18 hours ago, leviathan_13 said:

After you die with your character you are presented with a choice: either quit the world or create a new character and continue from there. I think there should be a sandbox option that enables a part of the XP to carry over to the new character. After all, the new character you are creating to continue a world is technically another survivor from that world that survived as long as your original character. Therefore, I find it a bit unrealistic that while your original character improved and learned quite a bit after months if not years, the other character stayed a noob until then and learned nothing.

I'm not suggesting this to be the default behavior. As for how it could be implemented, a possible way is to keep track of the amount of XP or traits points you actually earned (therefore excluding your initial stats) and carry over a percentage defined in the sandbox settings to the new character, e.g. 50%. Probably the best way to do that is giving the new character free traits points or raw XP that you can invest where you want (because it wouldn't make much sense to boost the same skills as the previous character by default). This XP "carryover" should somehow simulate the fact that the new character also survived all of this time in parallel to your original character.

You raise a really good point regarding the respawned character being fresh into the apocalypse when it wouldn't make sense for them to be. I'm not too big on retaining any XP from a deceased character, but another way to solve this issue would be for available occupations to change after X amount of time has passed in the world. So instead of roles like "Burger Flipper", you might have new occupations to replace the old that come with low but suitable skill sets for the current state of the world. Just a rough example of a new world occupation could be "Prepper" which comes with innate Organized trait, +2 Reloading, +2 Sprinting, +1 Aiming. Maybe have them spawn with worn clothes, a knife, or rarely a crappy pistol with 1 bullet. Definitely not perfect, just my 2 cents.

The idea of retaining part of the XP of your deceased character isn't meant to imply that the new character somehow inherited the skills of a random dude who died elsewhere. It's more of an abstraction of the passage of time: if the deceased character managed to gain X amount of XP since the start of the apocalypse, then it's logical to assume that any other survivor would manage to grow in a similar way. Of course, it doesn't mean that the new character would inherit the same skills, that's why I proposed that you should be able to re-assign the XP however you like, and neither that you should get all the XP. How much XP gets transferred should be regulated in the sandbox options. I'd say a fair amount would be 50%, but given that's a sandbox you could lower it or raise it as you like (even cheat and retain all of it).

IIRC the devs already expressed some ideas of new professions that unlock for one-year later scenarios, but they are preset professions that unlocks in certain starting scenario. I like that idea and have nothing against it, but it doesn't address the issue that I presented: in any playthrough, you could die a day, a week, a month, or a year later. No preset could correctly represent what your character learned in that particular playthrough. By transferring a percentage of the XP you gained, you are more or less correctly representing the amount of "struggle" you went through in that game. I also think that this way people would be more incentivized to actually continue a game instead of always resetting with a new character.