Problems with Umlauts in Name Generator

TitanKämpfer

Hey,

I'm currently working on a map that I want to be set in an fictional region of another country (Germany) and I'd like to put in a lot of smaller details as well and so I thought about replacing the default name generator, so that newly made characters would have German names too (unless the player decides differently).

I got to replace the default lists, but noticed that the game does not generated names with Umlauts (in my case ä, ö, ü, ß) correctly. You can type them in the textfield yourself, so the game does support them, but when picked from the list, they just end up getting removed, turning names likes "Rüdiger" into "Rdiger".

Is there a way to have them be generated in the game? Or do I have to replace them with "ae", "oe", "ue" and "ss"?

On 7/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, TitanKämpfer said:

Hey,

I'm currently working on a map that I want to be set in an fictional region of another country (Germany) and I'd like to put in a lot of smaller details as well and so I thought about replacing the default name generator, so that newly made characters would have German names too (unless the player decides differently).

I got to replace the default lists, but noticed that the game does not generated names with Umlauts (in my case ä, ö, ü, ß) correctly. You can type them in the textfield yourself, so the game does support them, but when picked from the list, they just end up getting removed, turning names likes "Rüdiger" into "Rdiger".

Is there a way to have them be generated in the game? Or do I have to replace them with "ae", "oe", "ue" and "ss"?

No idea if this will work, but you could try inserting them via their unicode values.

Something like: "\u00df" for ß (or just "\udf", not sure if the leading zeros are required).

https://dirask.com/posts/Java-insert-unicode-character-to-string-1xy2bD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Just tried it, but it sadly does not work. It loads it in like a normal string, though in the case of a leading "\" the symbol itself get's removed like the Umlauts themself. I believe the leading zeroes would be important, because aren't they supposed to be values as well, like the last two digits? Otherwise it could lead to problems where it might not know if the symbol right after the codes end, might not still belong to the code itself, whenever it is a number between 0 to 9 or letter between a and f. (Like the difference between "\ua" followed by an "e" or "\uae" itself). However I still tried it nonetheless.

While I wasn't really convinced that it would work due to not being HTML itself, I also tried those codes, but as you can see they also just get simply loaded in as the codes.

As one can see, sadly none of those variants seem to work.

20230712124650_1.jpg

20230712124949_1.jpg

20230712130422_1.jpg

20230712130729_1.jpg