Modding java without requiring manual install?

Modin

Hey guys,

I modded a java .class file to remove zombie culling, but the original file needs to be manually replaced by my own.

The mod is getting traction and I'd like to be able to distribute it in an easy, accessible fashion like other regular mods, through the steam workshop, without having to tell the users how to install it.

I'm unfamiliar with modding. I've looked around and this guide https://github.com/FWolfe/Zomboid-Modding-Guide mentions this:

Note: The java can be modified, but requires knowledge of java, decompiling and recompiling the .class files. Mods with Java edits also can not be installed using normal methods, these files need to go directly to Zomboid's install directory. Modifying the Java is beyond the scope of this document.

The ideal solution would be overwriting the java functions with my own in a separate file that loads with the game.

If this isn't possible, any way to automate the replacing of the file (possibly without overwriting the original) would also work.

Failing this, I suppose my only option is to make a patcher program so that people don't have to rummage into their game files, but I'd really prefer it to be fully automatic!

Can anyone help?

On 12/21/2022 at 8:57 PM, Modin said:

I know - if I do make an executable patcher program people will still have to download it and execute it manually which is why the ideal solution is one where people can just subscribe to a mod.

Any hope of that?

I've searched a workaround solution for this for about 2 weeks when I've tried to add a own socket for a dev mod with a adjusted mobdebug to allow Java + Lua debugging through EmmyLua. Honestly, there is none way rather than manual installation or distribute a own patcher.

Edited by stuck1a

On 12/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Modin said:

I know - if I do make an executable patcher program people will still have to download it and execute it manually which is why the ideal solution is one where people can just subscribe to a mod.

Any hope of that?

If you mean uploading a patcher to the workshop, then no. You can't upload programs to the workshop. If you want to just make a patcher that installs it and distribute it outside of the workshop, then I guess that's fine, assuming it doesn't violate the ToS.

But, just in case: you should know that we do plan to implement an anticheat solution like BattleEye at some point. The work done to streamline this for MP might not be usable in the future (or might be further set apart from the main audience of the game than even now).