Black chunks everywhere I go

GuibaLima

Question

I recently purchased a game server for Project Zomboid. The problem is that only for me (admin) the game keeps crashing when rendering the map pieces. At first I believed that what was causing these black chunks errors were the mods I had added. To eliminate the possibility of being an error due to incompatibility of some mod. I ended up deleting all mods and reinstalling the server (this time vanilla). I did a lot of research on Reddit, the IndieStone forum, and here in the Steam discussions. I came up with a few possible causes for this:

1 - The lack of server RAM memory.
It is an 8GB RAM gameserver. The problem is that when it gives these "black chunk" errors I've actually only consumed 50% of the memory. And errors happen even if I'm alone on the server. So I don't think it's a lack of RAM.

2nd - Weak client computer.
My computer is not the best. I assume, but with the configuration below, I believe this is not the case.

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz
RAM: 2x 8Gb Corsair Vengance LPX 3000MHz
GPU: Radeon RX 580 - 8Gb
1Tb NVMe SSD

3rd - Problems with the connection.
When I noticed it could be connection issues. I went back and found that many were having problems until releasing the UDP port 16262. I created the exceptions in the firewall of the internet provider's router. I released from port 16260 to port 65535 for both TCP and UDP protocols.

mmuhMhQ.png

For Windows firewall I added 2 rules.

mtBF8wJ.png

and

ReE5UOs.png

But unfortunately the problem was not solved.

4 - Problem with Avast antivirus.
During the research, I noticed that some users were reporting problems with their Avast antivirus even when opening the firewall exceptions. So I uninstalled the antivirus.

5th - Problem with the game files.
Some players had the same problem as me, and when reinstalling the game completely (including deleting the folders that are left behind after uninstalling) the problem stopped. I uninstalled the game, installed it again, and the problem persists.

6th - Problem with port 16261 and/or 16262.
A colleague who has another server hosted in the same location as me, had a problem with port 16262 (black chunks everywhere he goes), when changing the config/Server/ServerName.ini file to UDPPort 8767. The problem stopped and despite of appearing orange cones from time to time. The server renders and the "black chunk" disappears.

It's been a week already trying to solve it, but I wasn't successful at all.

What has left me completely confused is that my friends can play without black chunks errors. Apparently the errors are on my side. Can you please help me?

3 answers to this question

The game itself keeps crashing? Can you perhaps replicate the crash and then share the console.txt file found in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid? This way we can check the crash logs to see what might be causing that. Since as you mentioned the black chunks are likely a network issue, but if map loading crashes the game it would likely be caused by something else.

11 hours ago, Beard said:

The game itself keeps crashing? Can you perhaps replicate the crash and then share the console.txt file found in C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid? This way we can check the crash logs to see what might be causing that. Since as you mentioned the black chunks are likely a network issue, but if map loading crashes the game it would likely be caused by something else.

The game itself doesn't crash. But I get stuck in the midle of black chunks. I'll recreate the problem and send the server console .txt file and some pics.

2 hours ago, bruenchant said:

Deixa eu te perguntar, vc ja tentou conectar com 3g/4g? Perguntando porque pela sua print tu é usuário de VIVO e as rotas da VIVO são um coco para zomboid.

Tenta tambem usar o exitlag (vc pode usar DEMO por 3 dias).

Pois é mano! Fiquei sabendo que as rotas da Vivo são uma merda pro Zomboid também... Mas o GamerProBR é usuário da Vivo também, e quando ele teve problema com a porta 16262, ele mudou a UDPPort no .ini para 8767 e passou a funcionar. Apesar de que quando ele entra no servidor, aparece uma mensagem dizendo que a porta 16262 está fechada para o client. Passou a renderizar os black chunks sem problema... Mas mesmo quando eu mudo a UDPPort segue com problema pra renderizar alguns pedaços do mapa.

Archived