[41.73] Firearm Crit Chance and Damage Applied based on Range

Jiffydude

• Singleplayer
	• No Mod
	• New Save
	• General Use of Firearms

Not completely sure if it's a bug or a feature. Going off of 41.73 patch notes on Firearms crit chance fix and how they worked in 41.72

Tested in debug using combat logging in command console while using firearms. Firearms edited to 0 damage to test crit chance (so I don't have to constantly spawn a new zed). Non-edited weapons used for damage testing. Done in sandbox with minimal adjusting of base settings (no erosion, no population peak day).

Crit chance applied according to range from target. Increased crit chance at close range, falls off to a floor of 10% approaching max range of weapons. Essentially the inverse of how they worked in 41.72. Like I said, not sure if intentional, but the way the patch was noted, I'm unsure if the intention was to make crit for firearms constant, or if how they work now is as intended.

Additionaly:

Attachments affecting range do not affect crit chance floor distance. M14 max AIM reaches 10% crit floor at ~21 tiles, even with an 8x scope.

Damage applied SEEMS to work similarly, with doing an average amount less at close range, and doing more at long range. Long range damage seems to have diminishing returns though. Adding a 8x scope will not drastically increase damage output.

It's intentional.

Basically a -= was used where a += should have been, causing the opposite of the intended effect.

Guns aren't supposed to have a higher crit chance the further the target is away from the player.

imo, the only thing that really matters with zombies is crit chance, as it simulates a headshot.

33 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It's intentional.

Basically a -= was used where a += should have been, causing the opposite of the intended effect.

Guns aren't supposed to have a higher crit chance the further the target is away from the player.

imo, the only thing that really matters with zombies is crit chance, as it simulates a headshot.

Thank you for the clarification.

Regarding damage, I still have to play with it more, but initial testing seems to show that base damage (no crit) is amplified at further ranges. Not to the extent that crit was, but enough to negate the crit penalty at range in most instances.

Question regarding weapon attachments, your statement on headshots and crit. Now... I'm no dev... and I don't want to come off as telling anyone what's best... but genuine question... if precision headshots are key, shouldn't attachments that improve the ability to be precise at range ALSO improve crit drop off rates?

Example, the MSR788 at max aim lvl reaches a floor of  10% crit at roughly 21 tiles. Installation of an 8x scope almost doubles range, but the MSR still reaches the crit floor at roughly 21 tiles. As an ex military member, I can say that it is indeed easier to make precision shots at longer ranges with enhanced optics.