Scatter Important Buildings

Strider

At the moment, for me, the only building which really is important would be the large warehouse in Mul.

I'd like to see it so there are several key builds in different towns. Using The Walking Dead as example, you'd ideally live on the outskirts of town and occasionally travel in to raid key supplies. To give you perspective, at the moment I can go to the warehouse and I can survive there just fine because there are seeds, nails, weapons, tools. If I bring enough food until the food grows I can live there for good.

Here is an example of how I think it could be done.

More buildings and a little more specificity. No one store would hold anymore than two things you're looking for forcing you to make a tent and go on longer raids. Split a lot of the key buildings up between Mul and West Point so you're forced to do that walk.

Weapons shouldn't be in the warehouse. The best books for advanced learning should only be (as I saw from the other thread) in the proposed library.

Seeds could have their own shop and otherwise be extremely rare elsewhere.

Try and keep tools like the axe the saw and the hammer separate. They're the tools which really allow you to go busy building stuff. Sure that's a lot of fun but if you make them harder to acquire you're going to really appreciate having all there are going to be *really* angry when another player or an NPC borrows it and breaks it.

These are just my thoughts on how I feel the game could be more fun. Again, this might need to for the sandbox as I know that some find the game difficult still and the game still has to be accessible.

As ever, I'm just spitballing here. I'm not saying 'Impimenent this in the next patch or else" just "I think these are some ideas, use or discard as you see best'

Cheers

There's already all kinds of important buildings scattered around. Explore a bit. The Logging Corp in Muldraugh provides the same things as the large warehouse but a lot more of them. Then there's a couple smaller warehouses in the suburbs that also provide construction and farming materials. There's the self storage building that does as well. There's the farmers market in the suburbs which is a good supply of produce early game, and farming supplies any other time. There's Cortman for medical supplies. Several convenience stores for non-perishable food. The police station for guns and ammo. Several restaurants for a mix of non-perishable and perishable food. Then move to West Point, and you've got the supermarket for an extreme amount of non-perishable food, the bar for a smaller amount, and several restaurants for a mix. The gun store for melee weapons, guns, and ammo. The hardware store downtown for the largest amount of nails you'll find in one place, on top of other construction materials. The mill on the southern side of town and the self storage building for construction materials. The high school, book store, and post office for skill books. The pharmahug for medical supplies. The list goes on.

In terms of things you get, it's all up to chance. I've certainly had games where it took me extended amounts of time to find specific things that I needed. Last game I played it took me nearly two weeks of searching to find a sledge hammer. Had to run between cities for it. With the randomized loot system, which is really the only way I see the game working, it's up to chance.

Part of what's nice about the system as it is now too is that you can't always access the building you want. If the loot system were more specific, and you found say, the large warehouse, loaded with a massive horde when you got there you'd just be SOL. It'll be even more pronounced once multiplayer hits, because you could find those buildings previously looted by other players, or even with hostile player or NPC groups living in them and just be screwed.

My real point is you don't need to. If you go to the warehouse and plant the seeds you find and barricade then you're fine. I simply mean that shouldn't be possible. You'd have to keep on the move longer until you could combine several elements together. 

It isn't always. Sometimes you don't find everything you need in one spot. I emptied the whole of the logging corp looking for a trowel the other day and didn't find one. Once NPC's and multiplayer are implemented it'll be the case more and more because other people will be out looting those things too.

And you know places like the large warehouse, where you can sometimes effectively find one stop shopping, are going to quickly be among the most contested and dangerous places on the map because everyone and their mothers will be targeting them.

That'll certainly be interested to see, MP that is. Personally I'd want to play a closed MP server with my nephew but that's just me. Until then I'll still use the warehouse because it's always been good to me. Probably because there are so many crates probability favours.

You'll still have NPC's to worry about even in closed servers though. Guess we'll have to wait and see how NPC behavior works to see if they're complex enough thinkers to target those hot areas too. My guess, based on everything we've been hearing about their development, is that they will.

And yeah, me as well. The warehouse and the logging corp are definitely always on my list of places to loot relatively early.

NPC's interest me but not on the rival for loot sense but more of a PvE sense. I'm curious as to how you can group up with them and use them to their strengths to improve the group as a whole. 

I hope it allows you to focus on the things you love to do most be that base defense, building or guarding, farming, cooking, scavenging or one of the many other tasks you can think of. Hopefully you can find NPC's that suit the tasks you have no interest in, which for me, would be farming.

I've not used the logging place much. It's crazy for crates too though. I've explored quite a bit but I've never stayed in one place for long much. Only the warehouse. Once I find something that works I tend to stick to it

Yeah, I pretty much do the same thing too. I've got maybe 10 active saves right now, each making use of a different safe house, but I tend to use the same handful of places over and over. Although I'm working on developing a plan to convert any house anywhere into a safe viable fortress. I was reading a discussion some people were having about multiplayer not long ago, and someone mentioned the fact that once we're sharing servers you never know where you'll be able to hold up because a lot of the "good" places might be taken already, and it got my wheels spinning. Need to have a plan to make any building into a good safe place. I think I've got my personal plan pretty much down at this point too. Just need to wait until second story construction is working again to really test the theory.