Suggestions from a Kentuckian

Myth

I'm one of those weirdos who likes to do everything. I'll play Dungeons and Dragons one night, wake up the next morning and go hunting, fish the day away, hunt again that night, work on my car the next day and then play some basketball.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes to do everything. I'll play Dungeons and Dragons one night, wake up the next morning and go hunting, fish the day away, hunt again that night, work on my car the next day and then play some basketball.

Same here. I love video games, guns, and the outdoors. Weird combo, I know.

I have never seen a deer duck the stream.  However, I go through some pretty extreme measures to mask my scent before hunting.

1. I don't eat meat for a week leading up to the hunt.  Why?  I dont want to smell like a carnivore.
  2. I only drink water for two weeks leading up to and through hunting season.  Why?  All that crap we consume has a smell, and we sweat it out.  Trying to purge my system as much as I can.
  3. I try to work up a good sweet for a solid hour every day for a week leading up to a hunt.  Why?  Again, getting as many impurities out my system as I can.
  4. Day before the hunt, I go horseback riding for an hour or two.  No bathing after.  Now I smell more like a herbivor.  Thank goodness I am sleeping at my campsite that night.  My wife would kick me out of the house as rough as I smell :P

I then hunt from the ground using wind, cover and concealment to my advantage.  If they are in rut, I like to take a set of antlers with me to rack together.  Stomp.  Snort.  You will be suprised how many BIG bucks will come out into a clearing thinking some other bucks are in his territory.  Heads up and nostriles a flaring.  Doe will come a looking to.  See if they can land a new stud :)  Twang!  One tag filled.

We hunted bucks in Colorado from horseback, but that was with a long gun.  Allowed us to cover more ground, masks your smell and gives a height advantage (better sight lines).

lol I don't even go that far for deer hunting. I've been a woodsy person my whole life so moving with reletaive quiet in the woods is second nature. I don't have the patience for deer stands or blinds of any sort, so I usually find mine by stalking. And they typically go out with a Bang! rather than a Twang! with me :P