abandoned military convoys

garand102

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, this could be so cool. And you could scavenge some nice gear found only on military type persons, like NVGs and body armor. Oh, would NVGs be a sweet toy to find in this game!

NVGs would be quite rare to find even on army bases.

Oh man, this could be so cool. And you could scavenge some nice gear found only on military type persons, like NVGs and body armor. Oh, would NVGs be a sweet toy to find in this game!

NVGs are common as rain in todays military.  Absolutely everyone is trained in their use, from firing a weapon wearing one to driving down a road.  IR Chemlights are just part of the tools of the trade.  All this, and modern NVGs run off on AA Batteries.

In the 90s it was our advantage, because most other outfits could not afford them.  Now you can buy them online.

Coolest thing I ever saw with NVGs, the Hale-Bopp comet.  Down range at Ft Carson and then out at Ft. Irwin.  Sure it was green... but it was SOOOO cool.  My team leader had me doing push ups off the back of the truck for running my batteries out watching it :)

I went to the mini boot camp thing when I joined the NJROTC my senior year of high school, and the soldiers that ran the boot camp sometimes let us use their night vision goggles to stare at the night sky. It was pretty awesome.

I went to the mini boot camp thing when I joined the NJROTC my senior year of high school, and the soldiers that ran the boot camp sometimes let us use their night vision goggles to stare at the night sky. It was pretty awesome.

Living in the city has robbed us of the night sky.  It is almost hypnotic to see the Milky Way in all its true glory.

One of the things I really liked about my time downrange.  Getting to look up at the night sky, unfettered by the lights of civilization.  Kuwait was this to the nth degree.  They call them Arabian Nights for a reason.  The sun starts to go down and then <Poof!> it fell out of the sky and darkness that could not be believed.  It was light being locked in closet, at midnight in a house without power.  But the stars.... :)

NVGs are common as rain in todays military.  Absolutely everyone is trained in their use, from firing a weapon wearing one to driving down a road.  IR Chemlights are just part of the tools of the trade.  All this, and modern NVGs run off on AA Batteries.

In the 90s it was our advantage, because most other outfits could not afford them.  Now you can buy them online.

Coolest thing I ever saw with NVGs, the Hale-Bopp comet.  Down range at Ft Carson and then out at Ft. Irwin.  Sure it was green... but it was SOOOO cool.  My team leader had me doing push ups off the back of the truck for running my batteries out watching it :)

Huh, would they really be on common non-combat bases? I could imagine some for night patrols but any more would be a waste.

NVGs are part of your standard load out.  Going downrange, taken em.  Better to have them and not need them, but need them and not have them.

Thanks for the info. Any idea how fast they chew up batteries?

If I recall correctly, it took two or four AAs.  They would usually last all night.  Our SOP was to keep the batteries out and only put them in when needed (to prevent leaving the NGVs on, sucking the batteries dry, and damaging the internals by pulling a pair out while on duing the day).  At NTC (in Ft Irwin), I would have to replace battiers every night or two.  Just going down range, I might go for two weeks.