Watchtowers

Gorgod

Are watchtowers theoretically possible? I think they would look pretty cool to have and maybe even useful to see if there are any zombies coming. So would it be possible and feasible to build something like a watchtower to look above the walls, even if you can only access it using stairs?

Well in theory, you'd build the stairs then a few poles to hold up the floor, then the floor, and then a window on the flooring with a sheet rope, and then destroy the stairs.

Really though beyond looking cool it wouldnt really function all that well...even if it expanded your visual range, nice...but in the time it took to climb up and down to it, you could have just sprinted around the area.

And if you saw a zombie...you'd still have to climb down to go kill it unless you used a "LOUD" firearm...possibly when they have crossbows...and better horde mechanics/roaming... sitting an NPCs on one would work, but the player sitting there would get old quick lol.

Really you'd be better off just building a platform on the roof of your safehouse

I've had a few fortresses with watchtowers in the past. This is probably the closest thing to it that I have now:

PZWarehouseFortressExterior_zps23b31eff.

I didn't build it specifically as a watchtower, but it's built using the same type of structure that I've used in the past for them. If I'd been trying to build it as a watchtower I'd have put it on my roof, it'd have safety railings, and probably wouldn't be quite as tall. Maybe two stories instead of three.

Actually if you look at the structure I built on the roof in that picture you can see where I've sort of done it there. I just built a structure on the roof with roof access, and built it to overlook all 4 sides of the roof. That way I can walk to each edge from a flight up and get a good view of what's happening at ground level. You can certainly make more tower-like structures to do the same thing though. Just place em in a central position and make em tall enough to get a 360 degree view.

Archived