Which Beta for Cars Now?

DicheBach

I have a playthrough with a self-configured scenario ("Slow Malignancy") that I would prefer not to lose and if possible, would like to continue with the cars beta. Is that possible?

It isn't entirely clear how the various versions listed in the Steam Properties\BETAS pane differ:

1YmiJ.jpg

So

1. Opt out of all Betas, that is what I'm running right now. Latest stable build.

2 & 3. The two legacies, right, older versions, that makes sense.

4. "Iwillbackupmsave . . ."  . . . (???)

5.  "previous vehicle . . . " . . . (???)

6. "Vehicle-work in progress . . ." . . . (???)

I should also note: yesterday I took a wild swing at it, told it to update to  . . . I think #6 in that list above there.

Launched and attempted to continue, but no dice. Program stalled and became unresponsive. Luckly, telling it to go back to the current stable build worked and my save file did not get corrupted by doing that.

So, if one is in my situation, what are the options? Is it possible (or should it be possible) to update and continue with an existing save and enjoy vehicles (note, I'm only interested in singleplayer at the moment)?

ADDIT: and btw, BIG KUDOS! to Indie Stone for providing users the option to use legacy builds! :-D

Number six it is.  

Iwillbackupmysave is what we call IWBUMS.

Previous vehicle is one build behind the latest.

I'd always advise you to back up your savegame or Zomboid folder as a whole before switching builds as a precaution.

I was thinking that sandbox settings might as well carry over. Currently can't test, though. 

Alrighty, thanks nasKo.

I'll back up my directories and give the #6 update another try and see if it can load an ongoing save. If I still get unresponsiveness I'll try starting a new game just to make sure the actual update is not failing.

ADDIT: ah, Steam is behaving a bit differently today after I selected the "vehicles" beta. I'm guessing whatever it did yesterday that led to unresponsive app when loading a save had to do with the update not going through properly.

Will post again to clarify how it turns out.

I have successfully updated to the Vehicles beta and launched a new playthrough using my "Slow Malignancy" sandbox config.

Ellie May Clampett was my previous toon, so now I'm exploring with a slightly different toon configuration and a male named Jethro Bodine (sp?). Have not played the Jethro one, but only got it to load into game start. 

When I attempted to "Continue" the Ellie May Clampett save, it exhibited the same unresponsive problem forcing me to ungracefully exit the app. So it would seem that the beta is either (a) not backward's compatible with saves from the previous version of the game, else (b) not backward's compatible with saves generated from user configured Sandbox scenarios.

Anyway, no biggies! Be fun to explore how cars work and offer any comments/suggestions I can. Maybe someday we can get a proper Kentucky Luxury truck in the game??

(tried to embed at exact time 0:56 but possibly to no avail . . .)

Archived