delete this please

Byesenberg

You are correct that the Higgs Field gives mass to quantum particles, but there is a problem in that most of our mass does not come from the Higgs Field.  The Higgs Field only interacts with quantum particles, such as electrons, quarks, mesons, bosons, and whatnot.  The big problem lies in the fact that, yes a proton (not a fundamental particle) is mad up of quarks, but the mass added from the Higgs Field makes up only about 1% of a proton's mass.

Now where do the particles get mass?  The answer is energy.  Everybody knows E=mc^2, right?  That is Energy= Mass multiplied by the Speed of Light (in a vacuum) squared.  Well, it can be rearranged to say M=E/mc^2.  This means that with a lot of energy, mass is created.  Now I can go on to explain why there is so much energy within a proton or neutron, but that's for a different discussion.

Also, I believe that without mass, we would not have gravity, but that doesn't count for the game. I do like the name though, it is clever.

• 1 month later...

You are correct that the Higgs Field gives mass to quantum particles, but there is a problem in that most of our mass does not come from the Higgs Field.  The Higgs Field only interacts with quantum particles, such as electrons, quarks, mesons, bosons, and whatnot.  The big problem lies in the fact that, yes a proton (not a fundamental particle) is mad up of quarks, but the mass added from the Higgs Field makes up only about 1% of a proton's mass.

Now where do the particles get mass?  The answer is energy.  Everybody knows E=mc^2, right?  That is Energy= Mass multiplied by the Speed of Light (in a vacuum) squared.  Well, it can be rearranged to say M=E/mc^2.  This means that with a lot of energy, mass is created.  Now I can go on to explain why there is so much energy within a proton or neutron, but that's for a different discussion.

Also, I believe that without mass, we would not have gravity, but that doesn't count for the game. I do like the name though, it is clever.

the higgs field IS why we have mass. you're only remembering part of Einstein's equation. a potentially huge part is also momentum. without going into heisenberg's (fitting, considering OP's avatar, lol) uncertainty principle, suffice it to say all mass attributed to matter comes from the higg's field, modulated by momentum and change therein, and interacted with by gravity. your last sentence is actually a kind of chicken or the egg kind of situation. no one knows where gravity comes from or why it affects objects that have the property we call mass. gravity also affects spacetime itself, because we see that massless light is also affected indirectly (gravitational lensing).

OT: i think it's a perfectly clever name for the mod!