Discoverability

Strider

Hello fellow survivors,

Something occurred to me the other day. I'm learning from the forums and from reddit but the most fun I had with PZ was when I first jumped into PZ and fumbled about and died a lot.

That was a terrifying experience but one I'll remember for a long time. It was frustrating being unable to achieve many of the things that I wanted to do but learning was tremendous fun.

For this thread I will use log walls as an example. Recently I discovered I could build log walls. I didn't discover this by trial and error, I learnt it from reading reddit.

I think it might be nice if some of the items available to craft are hidden until they become available. You could also grant points based off the characters intelligence on what he's figured out so if the player is inherently intelligent he may either figure out how to build something or learn the instructions from a book.

If the player finds 'Carpentry for beginners' he may learn one or two things to craft from those books (as well as the XP boost) and if he finds a second or third he may find further items to build. More complex items would be locked to more advanced books but with time you could make all of these items become available and you could determine this from the players intuition.

You shouldn't need this for elementary carpentry like say, barricading but for something a little more complicated like creating a safe chair or table I think you would likely need instruction.

Just throwing ideas out there.