Adding a new passive skill - "guts"

steve

Has anyone tried to make a new skill before? Before I get too into it, I'd like to check in to see if it's viable, and if you all have any advice or know anything I should look out for in the process.

My specific question is: Would I have to create a new .lua file, such as GutsSkill.Lua, or edit the existing PerkFactory.class? I'm concerned that skills will be more complex in that the skill window will need to stretch to accommodate them graphically.

I'd like to make a new, visible, passive skill, "Guts," which protects against damage to Boredom, Fear, Morale, Pain, Panic, Sanity, and Stress. It represents the general hardening of character that occurs in the player character over time.

The skill would be called each time the character is subjected to the above negative conditions and will soften their effects to an extent depending on skill level.

I'd like to increment this skill's xp when the following events occur:
: The character's panic moodle increases one pip (slight-panic to panicked, panicked to severe panic)
: The character successfully lands a hit on any target
: The character is injured for any reason
: The character survives one additional day

I could potentially add the following to PerkFactory.class to add the "guts" skill under the parent group "survivalist":

AddPerk(PerkFactory.Perks.Guts, Translator.getText("IGUI_perks_guts"), "", "", "", "", "", PerkFactory.Perks.Survivalist, 50, 150, 450, 1050, 1950);