Knox Event - The Collapsed - Final Chapter & Next time

TheMitcher

Chapter 8

Ross quickly and quietly made his way up the road, keeping his head on a swivel as he made his way up the corpse littered road. Once he got to an intersection, he found himself at a car accident that happened while he was inside Mollie's. He noticed the driver of one car was dead, and the driver of another was struggling to get out of her vehicle. On closer inspection, it was Hazel from the gas station.

Ross sprang into action, noticing a small horde closing in on her position. And let out a short, yet fierce shout as he charged in to distract the zombies.

Three of them turned to him, the other two continued closing in on Hazel. Ross brained the walker closest to him, taking a step back to gauge how much time he had before the stragglers got to Hazel. Adrenaline kicked in when Ross noticed the two walkers still advancing him got a little close for comfort and he raised his crowbar up and shoved them back, knocking one of them over. 

He then turned to strike at the stragglers, taking the first down with ease before the second managed to grab him. It tried to close in for a bite, but Ross was able to knock it upside the head and break free, stomping on its head once it hit the ground from the force of the blow.

By this time, the other one that was prone managed to get itself back up and Ross was able to dispatch them easily, due to their significantly staggered approach. Afterward, he made his way to Hazel, who had looked at him with terror.

"W-why are you covered in blood?!" She cried out in shock.

"That's gonna take a while to explain, let's get ya to safety first." Ross replied before looking at the door, noticing it was mangled and unable to be opened.

"The door's got me pinned. I dunno if I can move." Hazel said when she noticed he was serious about helping her.

"It looks like I can still move it a little. I'm gonna give it a shot." He said, grabbing at the door, brushing off any shards of broken glass so he didn't hurt himself and pulled the door upwards with a strained grunt.

To Hazel's surprise, the small bit of freedom this granted allowed her to slip her leg free, but she wasn't able to pull herself out. 

"I gotcha." Ross said, carefully helping Hazel out of her car before setting her down on the curb and looking at his surroundings, "We've got a base right there at the school. Wanna come with? We've got a doc who can look at your leg." He asked.

"S-sure..." Hazel said with a nod, taking Ross' hand to get stood back up before they made their way around the fence. Ross supported Hazel's weight along the way and they only had to stop once for Ross to deal with a walker. However as he went to get Hazel back up, they were caught by surprise when a sprinter tried to ambush Ross from the trees.

LOOK OUT!!!" Hazel shrieked, her face showing explicit terror. Ross spun to see the sprinter and quickly used the force from his turn to throw his hand up and backhand the sprinter, knocking it off balance. He then cleaved his crowbar on its head, killing it instantly.

"W-what the fuck was that about?" She asked, her voice trembling from the shock.

"More'll show by the time I finished explaining." Ross replied, "We're learning what we can to fight back."

"Oh my God, you're fighting them??? But the news says keep away from them!" Hazel replied in terror.

"The news also says they're not really dead and that this is all just a flu that'll pass." Ross said, helping Hazel up to her feet before they went across the driveway of the school to the front door. Once inside, Ross led Hazel to the Nurses office where Doctor Franklin looked at her injury and screened her for bites. He also asked his brother to round up anyone except Beth who was able bodied for a meeting.

"Hey everyone. Mollie wanted me to talk with you guys about a deal with her. She's got a garden that's gonna be up and ready soon, and she's offered us a portion of the yield if we help protect her. I'll be blunt, I rounded everyone here to see if anyone would volunteer for the training and the trips.

"Don't have to ask me twice." Bill said with a nod as he raised his hand.

"Me neither. Mollie's done alright by me and my family." Jackson replied 

"I'd volunteer, but someone's gotta watch the kids." Pam said with a laugh.

"We help a friend and she helps us? Sounds good." Russel said with a nod.

"Alright, we'll start training first thing tomorrow. I'm gonna put all this food in the kitchen and see how everyone's doing." Ross said, making his way out, "Y'all are good now. I'll see ya in the morning."

Ross stepped out with his brother to check on him first, assuming that the loss of his wife and daughter hit him pretty hard, he needed to know how he was doing.

"You holding up alright?" Ross asked worriedly.

"I dunno... Losing Kate and Millie's been pretty hard on Link and I." Russel said with a sigh.

"I can imagine so... At least we still have Link. And each other." Ross replied.

"Yeah. I'm not sure if this is the world I want Link to live in, though." Russel said as he looked to his brother.

"But it's the world we have now. We have to adapt to thrive, it's always been that way." Ross said in response, "We'll do our best to protect him from this new world. Or at least prepare him for it. I hate to say it, but those are our options..."

"I guess you're right. I'm scared I'm gonna outlive him, too."

Ross fell silent, he had nothing to respond with. It was a genuine fear, and it bore even more weight than ever. A definitive yes would be exactly what his brother would need to hear, but it would be a dishonest answer.

"We'll just have to take it a day at a time. And hope to God we're wrong on that." He replied, "I'm gonna check on the others. Take care." He added as he waved goodbye.

Franklin and Beth were next on his list. he went to the classroom where they were and saw that Cindy was with them.

"Hey guys, wanted to see how you were holding up." Ross said after giving the door a knock to catch their attention.

"Hey Ross, we're doing alright, all things considered. My fever's gotten worse though, I don't think I'm gonna make it through the night..." Franklin said as he clutched his wife's hand tighter. Ross let out a soft sigh and leaned against the wall, "We already talked about it, we've made our peace with it. But I need you or someone that isn't Beth to do it." 

"Say no more, I understand. Do you have a religious preference?" Ross asked, trying to brace himself for what he'll have to do, "I'm in the middle of checking on everyone, so I'll let Cornflower and Russel know and we'll get ready." He added.

"Alright, thank you Ross. I wish we could've met under better circumstances." Franklin said, "Also, no. Beth's Catholic, but I'm not religious."

"Me too, and alright... I'll be back soon as I can, you guys take it easy." Ross replied before heading off

"Hold on, Cornflower brought me this and wanted me to patch it up fer ya." Beth said, making her way to a bag and pulling out a leather jacket with patches seamlessly stitched into them.

"It'll at least keep the rain off when you're out." Consider it my gift fer stickin' yer neck out for us." 

"I appreciate it, thank you." Ross said as he took the jacket and proceeded to put it in his backpack, "I'll put it to use, y'all take care." 

"Say bye to Ross, Cindy." Beth said to her daughter. The child looked up and waved from the tea party she was having with an assortment of toys found from the looting, "Bye Ross!" She said.

Ross made his way to the recess yard where he saw Pete scratching his chin as he looked around the area.

"What's on your mind?" Ross asked as he left the school and took a pack of cigarettes from his pocket and lit one, taking a deep inhale of smoke before blowing it out.

"Tryina figure out where I'm gonna put the garden. Overheard your talk about the training, so I don't want it getting in the way."

Ross looked around the recess yard as he pondered. The force was small, and an optimistic mind would say save the yard for more numbers, however he wasn't sure if that would be the case. Plus with the climbers, the crops would be in danger in the recess yard anyway, so they would have to be in a spot easily fortifiable or defensible. An idea soon popped into his head, "Think we can grow them on the roof?"

"If we made planter boxes deep enough for them to take root, I reckon we could. But we'd also need a way up there." Pete replied.

"We can work on a staircase or something in due time. Meanwhile you could probably plant them along the side of the school, by the maintenance shed."

"Alright, I'll get to plantin' right away." Pete said, "See ya 'round!"

"See ya. Book it to the school and give a shout if anything happens." Ross said before finishing his cigarette and making his way back in. He found Cornflower cleaning up some blood from the battle to take the school and she waved to him when she saw him, putting her CD player on pause.

"Hey Ross! What's up?" She asked.

"Some pretty heavy stuff, if I'm honest..." Ross said as he rubbed the back of his neck, "Franklin's getting worse. I don't mean to sound like I'm rushing you, but how's your progress on cleaning the place?"

"I'm almost done, and yeah... I heard, I'm worried about his wife and daughter, it's so unfair they're going through this.

"I know, believe me..." Ross said with a sigh, "Could I ask you hunt down Bill and work on a grave for Frankie?" He asked, "I need to check on everyone else, figure out training and our next big move. I can join ya if I've got time, still."

"Sure thing!" Cornflower replied in her cheerful tone in the hopes to lighten the mood, "I'm almost done here. I'll get right on it."

"Thank you so much, be careful out there." Ross replied before making his way off to the library where he found Link reading a book on building traps. Marble was curled in a chair next to him snoozing.

"Hey Uncle Ross." Link said.

"Hey kiddo, you doing alright?" Ross asked, noticing Lincoln seemed saddened.

"I dunno... I miss my mom and Millie." Link replied, looking up from his book, "Are we gonna be alright?"

"I wish I knew for sure..." Ross said, recoiling a little from the question, "I think our only chance is if we fight back."

"What if we can't?" Lincoln then asked.

"We definitely won't if we give up. Moving forward's our only shot at a chance." Ross replied after taking a moment to think.

"I guess so... You said you were gonna do training, right? Can I come?"

"That would be up to your dad, I don't think I'm at liberty to make that call. But I do need to check on a new intake. Keep up the reading, sport." 

"Will do, Thanks." Lincoln said before Ross began making his way off to the infirmary.

As Ross entered, Hazel looked up to him with a smile, "Hey! Doc says I'll pull through." She said.

"That's good news we can use." Ross said, "I might have to ask you to pull your weight a bit, especially once you heal up. Things are gonna be rough and we need as much cooperation as we can get." He added.

"You saved my hide out there, the least I can do is help out." Hazel replied, 

"I checked on Franklin earlier and I'm not confident he'll last the night." Doc Franklin said.

"Yeah, already spoke with him about it. Giving him some time before I follow through. You've got anything to make it quick for him?"

"I've got a few tools that could work, but a sharp knife right about here oughta be enough." Franklin said as he pointed to a spot at the base of his skull.

"What are you talking about?" Hazel asked worriedly.

"Think you could fill her in, doc? I've got a lot to do." Ross said, rubbing the back of his neck as he timidly asked Doctor Franklin.

"Of course, not a worry at all!" The doctor said kindly as he turned to Hazel to fill her in on all he knew about the situation. The choppers, the theories, and most importantly; the undead.

After finishing the grave, Pam had finished making a meal using the beans and ham found earlier, even using some corn flour brought by one of the others to make a side of cornbread for everyone. Everyone sat down to eat; Franklin included, and the meal served to lift everyone's spirits. Although a simple meal, it was filling and flavorful. Many found the buttery, crumbly cornbread to be the best part of the meal. 

Then came the hard part. Ross made his way to the room designated for quarantine where Franklin laid with his family and friends. With a heavy heart and knife in hand he stepped in and greeted his friend with a smile, "Hey guys." He said, trying to ease some of the tense atmosphere.

"Hey Ross." Franklin replied, his lip quivering a little in fear and sadness as he knew why Ross was coming in this time, "I'm ready, just lemme say goodbye." Ross nodded and leaned against the wall. Franklin then turned to Beth, reaching out to give her a hug. Beth quickly dove into his arms and the two held each other in a tearful embrace. 

"Daddy, don't go!" Cindy whimpered as she raced over to clutch onto her father.

"I'm sorry angel, I wish I could stay. But remember, we talked about this. It's to protect everyone." Franklin replied, pulling her away to gently wipe her tears.

"Okay..." Cindy cried before clutching onto her mother who took her out of the room. Ross made his way over to Franklin who rolled onto his side and closed his eyes.

"You're a brave man, Franklin." Ross said, placing his hand gently on Franklin's head,"goodbye..." He added before driving the knife through his skull. Franklin gave a quick jolt and struggled to exhale before going limp where he laid. 

They would bury him later that night, along with Rose. Everyone gathered around the graves to mourn the friends they barely had. After a moment, Cornflower broke the silence.

"To think this happened in just days..." She said with a sniffle, "Will we ever go back to normal?"

"I don't think so. This might be our new reality." Russel replied, "Kate and Millie, Frankie, Rose... And to think this is only the beginning. " He added before turning to Ross, "Do you think we can actually do this?"

"We won't know for sure unless we try." Ross said, "We fight, or we die. Their fight is over... We have to carry on for them."

Next time

An assortment of medical supplies, tools, and even weapons are believed to be left behind at the fire department. Mollie's will be used as a staging area for the operation.

Ross instructs the others on what he's learned of the zombies. Being the most experienced, he volunteers to be the zombie as he teaches his friends how to easily dispatch their new threat.

A horde stands in the Fire yard, shambling around in search of food. The survivors stand ready to clear them out.

Another group of survivors was looking to take the fire department as well, opting to take advantage of the fact Ross and friends already cleared it out. Violence ensues.

Police stand firm with weapons drawn on Ross and friends, demanding that they drop their weapons and come quietly.

Archived