Trait points to Skill Levels

GG Cannon

I suggested this in the Steam discussions suggestion but thought I should also post it here.

As much as I genuinely love the trait system, there is a pretty significant limitation to it, which is that even if you were given infinite free trait points, you don't really have full freedom to create a character min-maxing a certain ability above a certain point.

Considering some servers might have some free trait points given or that a coop group could each take a certain profession and min-max that profession as much as possible, each player will still be pretty average in their profession of choice.

Further still, there is the issue of character death which, if you spent dozens of IRL hours practicing a certain craft can be EXTREMELY frustrating when you can't even sacrifice points you would spend on a few crucial traits to min-max that skill as much as possible.

My suggestion would be to take inspiration from the "storytelling" tabletop RPG system on a way to directly purchase skill levels.

The idea is simple.
After choosing the positive and negative traits, you'd have a next window to spend any remaining trait points.
To purchase a level of the desired skill you would spend:

Next level / 2 = cost in trait points [rounded up].

Explaining and examples:

To get "Axe" level 1 with this system alone, you'd spend 1 trait point, but to get Axe level 3 you'd spend 1+1+2=4 trait points.

8 for level 4, 13 for level 5 and so on.
To start with Carpentry level 10 going from Carpentry 0, you'd spend 1+1+2+2+3+3+4+4+5+5 = 30 trait points.

This would be EXTREMELY useful for a server that says the story started 10 years in the future and gives players a high value of free trait points to create their characters or for a more RPing friendly server, or even a more casual server with free points on character creation or even in a normal game to create a min-maxed character.

Edited by GG Cannon
[Fixed math] [removed format]