Make Sandbox Vars Apply Reliably

Arcalane

In my adventures to create a mod that adds new zombies to the spawn lists, I've been trying to add configuration options that, well, function as intended. My efforts have been blocked either because the 'core' sandbox options don't apply consistently, and I know they're not applying reliably, because if I put a nice little block of code into my mod to print the variable values to the console, it always returns the default values set in the sandbox-options.txt instead of the values I defined during game setup. I've tried using OnLoad and OnGameStart functions in which case they do work... but only for Singleplayer, and then the functions completely break Multiplayer compatibility -- which is a dealbreaker.

All I want to do is make it so players and serveradmins can adjust the spawning frequency of certain types of zombie to suit their tastes. Having sandbox vars be saved, loaded, and applied properly would go a long way, and it's possible this is a problem for other mods using them as well.