Any advice for lowering RAM usage?

comando

Hello everyone,

We're currenctly running a linux VPS PZ MP server for 30 players. We'd like to reduce RAM usage to keep the server going and financally stable because hosting is quite expensive where I lve in.

Does anyone have any configurable advices for Operational System, Java, Gameplay features? Anything is valuable to us.

The only thing we've come up so far is periodically deleting items from the ground. Do you guys think that enclosing players to a specific location (Louisville) would help reduce RAM usage as they are not allowed to travel to other locations?

Thanks for your time. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

10 hours ago, comando said:

Hello everyone,

We're currenctly running a linux VPS PZ MP server for 30 players. We'd like to reduce RAM usage to keep the server going and financally stable because hosting is quite expensive where I lve in.

Does anyone have any configurable advices for Operational System, Java, Gameplay features? Anything is valuable to us.

The only thing we've come up so far is periodically deleting items from the ground. Do you guys think that enclosing players to a specific location (Louisville) would help reduce RAM usage as they are not allowed to travel to other locations?

Thanks for your time. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

From experience of running a many players, the server will increase in ram usage fairly linearly until it's using around 14 to 16GB. 
The issue I've noticed is that the Game server seems to be generating so much trash for the Java machine to deal with, that the Working set of the java process is 40 to 45GB, which is ridiculous. 

I'm not gonna say with how many players, but I've managed to have the server running on Windows reach 20GB of usage, with a Java.exe Memory Working set at 60GB.

Looking at the way the game server loads, it seems that little effort was done to reduce the memory footprint of the server, where it's pretty much starting a normal game client without UI, but still loading the majority of assets. 

I never tried to restrict people to a single location / town, but I wouldn't expect a massive difference.