Get some seeds

Dig a furrow

Plant some seeds

Water until well watered

Wait 2-3 hours

Have Farming 8

Check Growth Stage Progress

Restart Server

Check Growth Stage Progress Again (see time has actually doubled from last time and Last Watered shows -2 Hours) 

Growth Stage time resets 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am playing on a dedicated server with no mods, multiple users have reported farming being almost totally bugged.

Having grown cabbages to seed bearing, i logged out and logged back in beside them, they instantly transformed into "rotten cabbages" and "seedling" stage.
There water level had changed from 100/100 to 0/100.
The cabbages health still says "flourishing"

In my and other users other attempts we have seen similar. E.g., planting potatoes, coming back 10 days later so see the visual graphic of well grown potatoes on the tile, but the info describing them as seedlings and rotten but with high health etc

The server is otherwise completely stable with other potential factors I can think of. There is no server crash, it is just a persistent bugging stopping almost all farming (i have only ever managed to harvest successfully once, cabbages while the potatoes i was growing at the same time bugged out. Someone else once managed to get some radishes but at the same time their cabbages bugged out).

I don't know why sometimes logging out and in causes the bug (it seems to). We haven't done enough testing for that. I suspect it has to do with whether you are online alone or with other people online but i don't know.

I have lots of experience in single player so it is not user error regarding crop failure.