Black Screen of Death!

Whittos

Question

Hi everybody,

I have been getting a black screen whenever I attempt to launch the game on Steam. I am currently trying to play Build 19 on my MacBook Pro. I have also tried playing with the older versions and it still just gives me a black screen! I have tried both regular mode AND compatibility mode but neither work.

I also have downloaded the latest forum release which is version 2.9.9.16 and this version is not on steam but it works absolutely fine.

Something I have forgotten to mention is that when I try to launch the game on Steam, about 10-20 seconds after it has launched I can hear the music start to play which tells me I have reached the main menu, but I cannot see it! Another thing I must say is that once I heard the music I began randomly clicking the screen in hope it would fix my black screen and somehow I think I managed to start a new game as after clicking profusely I THEN began to hear the music which plays when you have started a new game and it has writing on the screen which fades in and out and says things like 'there was no hope of survival' and 'this is how you died'. 

In conclusion, I believe that my game is able to run on my computer, however whenever I attempt the launch the game on STEAM I am only given the audio (music) and am not given any visual, hence the reason for my black screen.

These are the specs that I found on my computer. I'm not a computer genius or anything but I think this information might help if the developers are working on fixing this issue...

Processor  2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory  4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB

Software  OS X 10.9

I truly hope somebody out there has a solution for my issue, as I am very keen on testing Build 19 and contributing further towards Project Zomboid and helping it to develop into one of the #1 zombie games on the market.

If any other details are needed about my issue I will gladly provide them. Thankyou in advance. :)

1 answer to this question

I think I may have found a solution to the problem!

By disabling the in-game Steam Community there is no longer a black screen for me!

I am not sure if this will work with all computers but give it a go any way to see if it works. 

Open up your Steam Preferences. This can be done by pressing command and comma at the same time (its a shortcut). Once you are in your Steam Preferences select the 'IN-GAME' tab and make sure the 'enable steam community in-game' is NOT ticked. Once this is done close the Steam Preferences and launch Project Zomboid and HOPEFULLY is should work!

I am not 100% sure this works with all computers but if it does work please spread this to help all who are suffering from the black screen of death!

Also note that I am using a MacBook Pro with the Mavericks (latest) software. I have also downloaded and installed an application called gfxCardStatus which enables me to manually switch between my discrete GPU and my integrated GPU. When I did this I had the integrated GPU in use which can be identified by the 'i' on the top bar of the screen on macs.

If you would like the download gfxCardStatus the link is here http://gfxcardstatus.en.softonic.com/mac

It is 100% safe to use.

When I was launching the game after I had disabled the in-game steam community I was left-clicking profusely so try doing that as well in case that affected the success at all.

That is all, I hope I helped some people with this issue :)

Archived