Rushed the warehouse ... what now?

Kamikaze Snark

I've been fooling around with this for awhile now. I started over again from scratch because I wasn't too far into it yet and I managed to "decorate" the inside of the warehouse office with the blood and bodies of 3 zeds, and it was just killing my feng shui. Here's what I've got so far on attempt number two:

Interior:

interior_zps1e3c298b.jpg

Exterior:

exterior_zpse96fd031.jpg

All 4 sheetropes are functional; 3 are only possible due to the catwalks all the way around the 2nd floor. The next step is to put rain collection barrels on the roof, and start building a garden in the SE corner. I'll completely wall the garden in with no doors and access it only by using the sheetrope in that corner.

I've ran into a bunch of bugs, unfortunately, and I've backed up my save game a couple of times in case of a crash. The biggest bug is that if I walk into the fence on the 2nd floor, I can walk right through it. Even if I walk through it just a little but then turn around and get back on the catwalk, the game freezes shortly after and I lose all progress since the last save. Very annoying but it doesn't happen if I am paying attention and don't accidentally walk into the fence.

Another bug I noticed is that if I built any fences or walls along the catwalk on the NW side of the building, parallel to the wall, they would shortly disappear. Walls and fences built perpendicular to the NW wall do not disappear.

Finally, the 4 windows on the NW and N sides all seem to be "reversed" - the game thinks that the inside of the building is the outside. So, if I put a sheetrope on any of those windows, the rope ends up descending to the floor on the inside of the building. Attempting to use the rope causes the character to just jump out the window and fall to the ground outside, which is painful but not lethal. Curtains are also placed on the outside of the building instead of the inside, which I found made it impossible to close the curtain if it had been closed and then opened just one time. So, to be on the safe side, I put a curtain on each window, closed it, and then barricaded it with 4 planks to remind myself not to open the curtains again or put ropes on those windows.

In short, the catwalks are working but there are some major bugs that need to be worked on. The freeze and crash when clipping through the fence is a major issue, but the catwalks are still functional as long as you pay attention and don't walk into the fence.

I also haven't seen any zombies around the warehouse at all since day 2 and I'm on day 6 now, so I was able to cut trees and build all of this in peace. I'm using a house in the nearby residential area to keep food frozen in the fridge, and to occasionally sleep at. I looted all the houses in that immediate area.

very nice work

Thanks! At some point I will try to do a better write-up of the bugs and get them on the bug report forum.

I am sad if it is the case that zombie spawning is broken now. Who will try breaking into my fortified superfortress?

Once I get the farm operational I am going to experiment with using barbed wire fences.

very nice work

Thanks! At some point I will try to do a better write-up of the bugs and get them on the bug report forum.

I am sad if it is the case that zombie spawning is broken now. Who will try breaking into my fortified superfortress?

Once I get the farm operational I am going to experiment with using barbed wire fences.

i feel the same as you, i wish we  could get an eta for the next attemp to tweak the spawning. i cant wait. they should do a purge :) spawm 400 zombie all at once !!!!!!

Looking pretty good. I'm so jealous that you have working second story construction. I'm 2 1/2 months deep with my current character, and I've pimped the crap out of my 1 story fortress, and I'm just dying to start building vertically. I have the whole thing planned out. Just itching to get working on it.

It is working but still buggy as hell. Everything I build on the NW wall to the highway in the way of fences, walls or even floor tiles beyond the floor tiles connected directly to the wall, ends up disppearing. It is also possible to walk through the 2nd story fence and either fall and get stuck in the boxes or crash the game. So I am definitely having some issues and I definitely wouldnt consider trying to build my own stairs at this point. This is all in the steam beta build 17 (0014).

I am really liking the new box of nails item. It has made finding enough nails for construction much easier.

Nice going so far, I managed to get there on day 1 in my last game only cause I somehow avoided being bitten by two ninja crawlers while I was running through self storage lot next to the warehouse. I never gotten to a warehouse alive till now, but now I know why people love them so much. XD

EDIT: Nevermind after looting the closest neiborhood for sheets and food my game crashed as I got caught on a wall before the auto-save refreshed. :(